HRC fuses any good?

Fingers
Fingers Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭
Hello all, my first posting here :)

I'm wondering about what fuse types we can use for our off grid systems.
I used a Chinese 15amp in line fuse, with the solar panel power of about 160 volts - 9amps. Actually it wasn't anywhere near that as the weather was awful that week. Anyhow the fuse holder melted, no doubt if it had been good weather I may well have had a fire on my hands.
This prompted me into getting rid of my Chinese fuses, trips and switches, and replace them with industrial "fused switch boxes".

The small switch box is 32amp for my panels to charge controller, and the large box is 100amp (fitted with a 160amp fuse), for battery to 48volt 6kw inverter.

Ok, here's the question, are HRC fuses any good for our needs?
All I know about them is they are ultra safe. But unfortunately I haven't seen any fuses with DC on them.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    Unfortinatually, assuming HRC (high rupture capacity) fuses are good (and they look to be fine), if they are not rated to DC voltage/current, then they are an unknown.

For example, here is a simple knife switch with 220 VAC vs 220 VDC volts:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zez2r1RPpWY

DC arcs (typically over 12 VDC) just sustain much better (or worst--depending on your needs) than AC arcs.

Here is a good discussion on how to pick DC fuses/breakers for your system:

https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/353232/oversized-wire-and-breaker

Good quality fuses and circuit breakers, rated for application, are the only way to go to help limit the possibility of fire in your power system. Battery Banks are huge source of current, and any bank over ~12 VDC (roughly the minimum voltage required to sustain an arc--varies a bit based the material being being turned into a plasma), should really use breakers (sort of preferred--Can also be used as a handy on/off switch for circuits--vs fuses and fuse holders which should not be used to switch on/off current).

Remember that fuses/breakers are their to protect your wiring and your devices from catching fire. OCPDs (over current protective devices) are not their to "save" your inverter or charge controller from damage (i.e., device may still short circuit from over voltage, lightning, or other issues, but OCPDs are not there to "save" the device from internal damage).

Fuses+fuse holders+spare fuses that are rated for high current are not usually much cheaper than a good quality circuit breaker which is also useful as an on/off switch. However, fuses and holders can be much smaller than a typical full size circuit breaker.

Not all fuse and fuse holders are "good quality" and design... For example, the automotive fuse holders and fuses you see everywhere--I would suggest staying away from them. They have been known to overheat and melt the holders even with less than rated current.

Example (know nothing about this specific brand/holder--Just an example of "automotive" fuse and holder):

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Fingers
    Fingers Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Thanks bill, that video footage just shows the dangers of DC.
    I made sure the switches were DC rated before buying them. They also have both, live and neutral switches inside the cabinet. The make and break of the switch is very fast, as it's shot by a spring system when the handle gets to a certain position. No crazy sparks :)

I have now found a DC HRC fuse that may do the job.
    I just hope it has less resistance and blows faster than a ANL fuse. I have asked the sellers, so fingers crossed.

Yep, the fuse in your photo should be regarded as a toy, same as cheap copies of Blue sea and other kit.