Inverter not recognizing generator

Options
MP3
MP3 Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
Can anybody help, our generator is not being recognized by the inverter, the generator icon just flashes on the inverter screen, instead of staying on, which it supposed to do when the generator attached...I must point out it has always worked before, we have even tried another generator, same thing !!! I also need to point out the sun charges as normal, but being as its winter, there's not much of it at the moment!!!!

Comments

• checkthisout
    checkthisout Registered Users Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Options
    Provide more info and pics of your setup.

• MP3
    Options
    we have 6 x 300w panels - 5kw inverter - 8 x 100 AH batteries, it's been working for the last 2 years with a generator, then suddenly not accepting it, will send photo's later, not sure what photo's i might need ?
  • checkthisout
    edited December 2021 #4
    Options
    MP3 said:
    we have 6 x 300w panels - 5kw inverter - 8 x 100 AH batteries, it's been working for the last 2 years with a generator, then suddenly not accepting it, will send photo's later, not sure what photo's i might need ?
    A. It's an electrical problem. What path does the electricity take on It's way?

Have you verified power at the input of the device?

It could be anything from a bad cord to failed device. Without any info it's difficult to offer suggestions on what and how to go about checking stuff.

There are thousands of different kinds of inverter/chargers. Without knowing what kind you have, were just as in the dark as you are. What does the owners manual say a flashing Gen icon is indicative of?
  • MP3
    edited December 2021 #5
    Options
    I assume you mean what path does the electricity take, it's a wire from the generator to the inverter, it's a hybrid inverter does that help ? We have tries a different generator, still the same thing, the manual doesn't say anything about a flashing light, i've asked the company where we bought it, they say don't open the inverter because it will void the warranty, they say the voltage is coming in too high, but we don't know how to change that, they say a setting has been changed, except we haven't changed anything, it just started to happen, they also say check the manual to see how to do it, we have been through the book from front to back, nowhere does it say anything apart from refer to to customer services hummmm

HYBRID INVERTER 5KVA 48V PWM 50A-ECOWATT

• checkthisout
    Options
    MP3 said:
    I assume you mean what path does the electricity take, it's a wire from the generator to the inverter, it's a hybrid inverter does that help ? We have tries a different generator, still the same thing, the manual doesn't say anything about a flashing light, i've asked the company where we bought it, they say don't open the inverter because it will void the warranty, they say the voltage is coming in too high, but we don't know how to change that, they say a setting has been changed, except we haven't changed anything, it just started to happen, they also say check the manual to see how to do it, we have been through the book from front to back, nowhere does it say anything apart from refer to to customer services hummmm

HYBRID INVERTER 5KVA 48V PWM 50A-ECOWATT

Ok. So the first thing you do is verify correct voltage at the input on the device. This means putting a voltmeter at the terminals on the device where the wires from the generator attach. 

If that voltage is within spec and you have way to adjust anything or do anything, unless someone on here has actually seen and dealt with your setup, then you are out of luck. 

Judging by it's price, age and level of support you have received, I would guess the unit has failed. Sorry I can't be of more help but you need someone with a higher level of skill to look at it for you. 
  • MP3
    Options
    Ok thank you for your advice, got another question, this might sound silly, but with the voltmeter which setting do i put it on ?
    I think the company realize it's the unit and don't want to honor the warranty !!! 
  • wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
     You could try plugging a light bulb to stabilize the power . 
     I hate Chinese equipment , It allways dies on me one week out of warranty with no repair no replacement ☹️ 
        The setting should get you a 120v reading from the generator or a outlet in the house that would be the setting .
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
     I think there is going to be a lot of these units dying with no repair , no replacement  it’s just wrong 😑 
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • checkthisout
    edited December 2021 #10
    Options
    MP3 said:
    Ok thank you for your advice, got another question, this might sound silly, but with the voltmeter which setting do i put it on ?
    I think the company realize it's the unit and don't want to honor the warranty !!! 
    The setting that has the symbol that looks like this: ~  It might say "A/C". The DC setting would have a dash underlined with a bunch of small dashes or say "DC".

You want the A/C setting. 

I would take the unit out and then just hook the gen directly to the cabin and enjoy it that way for the rest of the winter. Unless your generator is huge and loud and gobbles fuel? This would be a good opportunity to buy an inverter generator if you don't already have one. I am a fan of them as they help you keep trucking when you get into the situation like you are in.  When our cheapo stuff fails and leaves us hanging, we can break out our little honda or yamaha generator and keep fishing or camping or skiiing or whatever it is we are doing at our cabins for the remainder of the season and take the stuff to fix, troubleshoot or recycle at home where we have the tools, resources and time to do so. 
  • MP3
    Options
    We are doing it direct to the house, but very expensive, ok if we get some sun, but that seem few and far between at the moment, we were wondering if it's the printed circuit that goes to the connection where the generator attaches, we only know that exists because we have another one, that we can compare, we only haven't changed it because of the warranty, but after we've checked the a/c, think thank might be on the cards, because since i've asked the manufacturers to be more specific 'no reply'  what a surprise !!!! going to try the light bulb thing as a previous person suggested.. it's not a cabin it's our home, so really important, bloody China !!!
  • checkthisout
    Options
    MP3 said:
    We are doing it direct to the house, but very expensive, ok if we get some sun, but that seem few and far between at the moment, we were wondering if it's the printed circuit that goes to the connection where the generator attaches, we only know that exists because we have another one, that we can compare, we only haven't changed it because of the warranty, but after we've checked the a/c, think thank might be on the cards, because since i've asked the manufacturers to be more specific 'no reply'  what a surprise !!!! going to try the light bulb thing as a previous person suggested.. it's not a cabin it's our home, so really important, bloody China !!!
    Oh gotcha. Well now is a good opportunity to buy a victron multiplus.

I have no experience with them personally but they have a good reputation and it's a nice unit that is perfect for your needs. They are $1200.00 vs $500.00 for what you have but the reliability will be worth it.
  • checkthisout
    Options
    I almost opted to purchase the exact unit you have but the reviews were horrible. Warranty and customer service do not exist. I opted to go with separate components used in the RV world.