Input on System Quote - Iowa

kman21
kman21 Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭

I have been interested in solar for a while, and recently noticed that Iowa started "net-metering," so I figured I would start the process of getting quotes. I am new to this, so I apologize about the lack of info, let me know if you need more info.

Current energy use averages about 1.1 MWh per month. Wife and I are planning on getting an electric vehicle at some point in the near future. I'm seeing 35 kw per day average on my bill. Math from there is 1.458 kw/h. 1.458x1.25 for some cushion. 1822 watts/hr needed per day. 4.4 hours peak sunlight/day in my area means I need an 8kw system to cover my average daily use, correct?

I was told the below system could offset 100% of our power use when averaged over a year. Some months we would generate more than we use, some less. With the net metering, we would use the surplus we generated from low months to cover the high months, and end up even at the end.

Purelight Power is the company I reached out to. They quoted the following:

31 panels

AP Systems inverter type.

1116 kWh/mo production (quote just shows "system size" and 11.160, so I think this is right.)

$42900 all in prior to federal tax credit. Roughly $31700 after the credit.

Unfortunately, we do not have any local incentives in place for solar.

He has not shared the exact diagram or info on the system, which is making me question the quote, because he is withholding information, making me not trust it.

We do have an excellent roof set up for solar. South facing roof with zero tree cover, so I would like to get a system, but I want to verify the quote here.

He quoted a 25 year guarantee to generate the power they said it would, a 20 year panel warranty, and a 10 year workmanship warranty, all of which ease my concerns about someone drilling holes in my roof.

I am willing to pay for a premium product and experience, meaning, I am hands off in the process, and the install is excellent and panels are above average, but at the same time, if I can get that same experience for less I would like to.

I have some concerns over the UCC-1 lien filing if my wife and I want to refinance, get a HELOC, of sell the house. Does anyone have any input on that?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    What is your power bill running now?
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • kman21
    What is your power bill running now?
    Average of $145 in electric costs per month. Some higher, some lower, but that's the average. 
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    What do you envision your return on investment to be?  Is your decision to go solar, strictly a financial decision?
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • kman21
    edited November 2021 #5
    What do you envision your return on investment to be?  Is your decision to go solar, strictly a financial decision?
    Well, in the case of this quote, I'd technically wouldn't break even until year 20, which seems like a long time. However, I'd rather be building equity in the system than paying the electric company. The green impact is nice, and we are not planning on moving, so length is OK. I can also invest the tax return instead of applying it to the loan, which would essentially be a $11k loan at 0.9%, which I should be able to outperform easily over 20 years. 
  • kman21
    Well, in the case of this quote, I'd technically wouldn't break even until year 20, which seems like a long time. However, I'd rather be building equity in the system than paying the electric company. The green impact is nice, and we are not planning on moving, so length is OK. I can also invest the tax return instead of applying it to the loan, which would essentially be a $11k loan at 0.9% over 20 years, that I could easily get higher returns on. 
  • wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    I sure would like to think the solar grid tie is a good idea but I have a buddy of mine trying to sell me a system 
      And what he is selling me is not a great deal . 
        The system would pay my bill in the Summer 3 months , then I could break even for a few months 
     but it would end up costing me 45 dollars more every month 600 a year +- 
     the only plus I see is It lock in my rate for the life of the system . 
       Just my 2 cent
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .