Help with diagram of solar array

Options
2»

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Sorry to hear about getting hit by Ida.

Hope everyone is safe and you can recover quickly.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • minisolar
    minisolar Solar Expert Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you Bill.

It was wild. My first floor is 3 ft below street level. My entire front yard was full of water and it pushed up against my front door making its way into my house. I am not sure how it held it to not completely bust in. Had to jump through the window and use trash cans to empty my front yard. Cellar had 4 ft of water. Ruined my tankless and boiler as well as many things... all my 12v system that I was planning to sell.. ruined.

I'm eligible to file a claim with FEMA, who knows how that will go, but I haven't yet since I need to put in a new boiler first. 

I have a sump pump that pumps into the drain (all my neighbors have them) but water was actually coming in from the drain into my house - from the street... so I added a 2nd pump now that will pump straight into the street. Adding a 3rd pump in my front yard as well as making a tall step to block water. This really was shocking... my whole block had terrible damage. Hopefully the measures I am putting in now will help. But if I lose power.. all bets are off. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    I am sure that you know more about this than I (luckily, all the places I have lived in my life have been above street level to one degree or another)...

Because I want to help--Below are some suggestions I am aware of to address flooding... Again, you have lived it--But to cover the bases (I am certainly no expert here).

One of the methods to block (reasonable) floods have been water filled tubes:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=flood+barriers+for+home&iax=images&ia=images

I don't know if that will work on your property (or be cost effective)--But I have seen news reports making fun of some guy that had those around his house--Pre-flood--And then during the flood, his was the only house that was still dry.

Other issues that can need to be addressed... Besides your storm drain backup up into your home--The sanitary drain backing up can be a real mess too.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=stanitary+sewer+check+valve+back+flow+prevent&iax=images&ia=images

On my homes, the older sewer installations had a clean out with a sealed cover (screwed down)--The city folks told me to vent that or leave the cover loose so that the backup ends up in the yard instead of a bathroom (saved me a couple of times in the last few decades)

Otherwise--Any chance of raising the home (can work if you have true foundations and wood floors--I am not sure what they do if you are slab on grade floors)?

In one city I lived, the southern end of town near the beach (Pacific Ocean) would flood every decade or two. Decades ago, the telephone company installed a major long distance operator center (real people)--And within a decade--It flooded (some amount of ocean salt water to boot)--They never rebuilt and gave the building to the city.

If you are in a flood prone area--Elevating the home seems to be the only "permanent" solution (besides moving). A small genset and stored fuel (and/or a natural gas or propane if that is at your home)--At least with small(er) generators, you can move them around as needed.

Sincerely,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset