remote service panel

Options
greetings I would like to install solar power on my home , grid tied . my quandary is that I have my 200amp panel on my home , but it is being fed from a 200amp Mobile home pedestal that has 2 circuits , one supplying my home the other supplying my shop , these buildings are at two different locations on my property. can the back-feed meter from utility be mounted between inverter and home panel ?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,462 admin
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Rock2850,

First question... Do you have meter(s) on the Pedestal (one or two meters--One for each location, or just one meter for both)? Some utilities require a completely separate meter just for the GT Solar circuit (they pay/credit you for "all" electricity generated by solar).

Have you found out the Meter Requirements from your local utility? Many utilities just replace the original meter with a "Net Meter" that can record energy used (bill you), or energy you feed back to the grid (pay you, or give you a "credit" for "excess power" generated)?

That needs to be answered. Then you can figure out how to proceed next.

"Electrical Power/Wiring" wise--The GT Inverter + Solar Array does not "care" exactly where it makes its power connection. The bigger issue is to figure out what type and where the utility meter needs to be installed.

You can run into issues with different "locations"... You GT Solar credits/payments may different between "residential" vs "shop/commercial" rate plans.

Before you buy hardware--Make sure you understand your billing plan and energy needs. I think you are in the Prescott Az region? This is the Solar website for APS:

https://www.aps.com/en/Residential/Service-Plans/Understanding-Solar

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset