AIMS 12KW Inverter died.

Options
kpoindext
kpoindext Registered Users Posts: 1
I purchased the AIMS 12KW inverter about 6 years ago, yes it is out of warranty.  I use it only occasionally, maybe about 20 minutes per week to run my tablesaw, that is it... No other load, it doesn't charge batteries, no other use.  It has worked great for 6 years.  I used it yesterday for about 10 minutes with no problems.  Today I went to turn it on and it is DEAD.  The LCD display will light up and it says my batteries are at 36V, now this would be a problem for 48V system, EXCEPT, my Outback charge controller, Outback inverter, Trace inverter(yes trace, it is about 25 years old and still going strong), and my voltmeter all say the batteries are at 51V.  I have sent two emails off to AIMS tech support with no response.  So, is there some way to fix this unit, OR do I weld a chain to it and re-purpose it as a boat anchor.

Cheers

Comments

• fogeater
    fogeater Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Options
     Multimeter to dc input lugs on aims inverter to double-check cables and batteries. If still 51v then that's very strange. Inverter probably expensive anchor. 36v?? So weird. And you did absolutely nothing wrong and you bearly use it and your bank is perfectly full.

Sounds similar to issues I have with a 4k that sees little use with a full bank and just fails to output ac when I turned on one day two weeks back. Best of luck with customer service, Maybe tare it open if they can't help before you smash it. Sell as parts online or sink it. So sad when you do nothing wrong and they quit with no load or off completely, good luck. I'm sure your upset that's a big 48v to lose for power tools in shop.
  • wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate when that happens , 6 years is not  to bad,  every time I cheep out on Chinese  equipment 
     the stuff dies 13 days out of warrantee and there is no repair no replacement .☹️ Funny thing is all the good equipment I’ve ever bought is still working , buy once cry once .
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    I have a list of past companies that repair AC inverters... I don't maintain the list--Other than if somebody tells me about another company that is unlisted:

https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/comment/241766#Comment_241766

The first step for any "computer based" appliance... Disconnect all power for 5 minutes (battery, AC, etc.) and then reboot. If problem continues, then (if applicable), reset to factory defaults and reboot. Then reprogram any parameters that you need for your installation.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset