LiFe cell internal resistance

Comments

• Suntrekker
    Suntrekker Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭
    edited August 2021 #62
    My RV has solar power!
    Voltage represents panels facing east. I expect 80+ volts when dialed in south.
    For AC, I chose Frigidaire model FFRE053WAE (5000 BTU). It uses half the amps for my application, best energy star, remote control and inexpensive. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Congratulations!

One thing I forgot to type about... Your split sleeve/loom wiring tubing... Make sure whatever you do--That it is rain/wind/snow/waterproof.

It looks like right now, is rain/water can come in through the slit and be brought right in through the ceiling and into the walls and electrical bay... Not a good thing.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Suntrekker

Thnx Bill and for the help!  Yeah the sleeve isn’t waterproof, it’s added UV protection (though PV wire is sun resistant).  And it loops upward entering the cabin, water shouldn’t be an issue.  But to heed your advice I’ll silicone in and outside the sleeves at the point of entry.  Appreciate the comment.

• BB.
    You might punch a drain hole in the low point of the sleeve so that water drains rather than pushes backup into the cabin (or into the solar array j-box).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Suntrekker
    Ok and there’s no j-box, a direct run to the scc.
  • Suntrekker
    Bill, good point about the sleeve.  So I tried to fill a section with water but leaked like a sieve, good news. 
  • Suntrekker
    edited August 2021 #68

Here’s the roof install...panel tilt-up mounts secured to rafters with ss lags. PV and ground wire enclosed in a split sleeve anchored with cable mounts and Eternabond tape (no drilling).

• Suntrekker
    edited August 2021 #69
    Sun reflection 
  • Suntrekker
    edited August 2021 #70
    8 LiFePO4 cells are passive balanced at 3.301V.  It’ll be interesting to see voltage differences as I bottom balance.
  • Suntrekker
    edited August 2021 #71
    Last night a crazy hailstorm pummeled the RV; bullet holes in roof vents and tire cover but the solar unscathed, no leaks.  👍

• Suntrekker
    Custom lithium battery to power the RV, 24V 280AH. The approx. dimensions and weight/12x14x8, 92 lbs.  Next cut busbars.  
  • Suntrekker
    Identify the battery in an 12V RV system 
  • Suntrekker
     I mentioned about replacing appliances that don’t meet solar standards (amp hogs); the factory microwave and AC window unit. Now I have an Instant Pot and efficient 12.1 seer window unit...they use half the amps (cheap conversion). A must in the middle of nowhere 
  • Suntrekker
    edited August 2021 #75

A milestone today connecting 8 lithium cells to create a 24V solar battery...we have ignition ; )  https://youtu.be/KPxHXzd4iM0

• Suntrekker
    Busbars w/heat shrink tubing. 
  • Suntrekker

Can someone elaborate on connecting a 24-12 step down converter to my RV DC load panel?  Thnx!

I think this will work:  The ac/dc converter yellow pos output wire (12v) connects to a 40 amp dc fuse aka reverse battery protection fuse.  The 30 amp fuse was for the FLA house battery (removed).  I’d like to replace the 30 amp fuse with the 40 and connect the 24-12 step down converter there.  This will power the 12vdc panel and disconnect the ac/dc converter.  

• Suntrekker
    As I wire a question pops up...the ac neutral busbar in my RV is isolated (no ground bond) so this is a sub panel, correct? That means shore power is the main service.
  • BB.
    Yes, when connected to shore power (which should have Neutral+Ground bond at their "main panel")--And all other connections (i.e., RVs) should have floating AC (N and G not bonded).

However, if you have an AC inverter or Genset--In theory, you should have N+G bonded in your panel--Or at the genset or AC inverter.

It is common for RV AC systems to have "switched" N+G grounding depending if Shore Powered (N/G open), or running from AC inverter/Genset (N+G connected at Main panel/single point).

-Bill
  • Suntrekker
    edited September 2021 #80

Got it, shore power Or inverter acts as the main panel to bond N & G.  The RV panel remains a sub panel with isolated neutral busbar-no modification necessary.  Very helpful, thnx Bill. 

• Suntrekker
    Wiring coming together....

• Suntrekker

Making different length battery/inverter 2/0 cables. 

• Suntrekker
    edited September 2021 #83
    More wiring...getting there.
    Positive battery 2/0 cable run:  battery-battery fuse-cutoff switch-shunt (monitor system performance)-relay (safety shutdown)-inverter-positive busbar.
    Negative battery 2/0 cable run:  battery-inverter-negative busbar-chassis ground.
  • Suntrekker
    Drilling positive, negative busbars.
  • Suntrekker
    edited September 2021 #85
    Progress....

• Suntrekker
    edited September 2021 #86
    Solar system is (chassis) grounded.  Luckily there’s an existing conduit (removed factory sealant) for 2/0 cable.

• Suntrekker
    edited September 2021 #87
    Prep living in the wilderness, solar ready.

• Suntrekker
    Yay!  Off grid wiring complete, next prep and install lithium battery bank. 
  • buckleystephanie
    buckleystephanie Registered Users Posts: 1
    Yay!  Off grid wiring complete, next prep and install lithium battery bank. 
    Hi Suntrekker. This is a great guide. I will add this to my favorites on my computer. May I know where you get all these products from? I'm currently in quarantine and looking for a place to shop online.
  • Suntrekker
    buckleystephanie, get well!  As for ordering parts, my go to websites are Amazon, eBay and Walmart.  At times i’ll use google too.  ...hope this helps.  
  • Suntrekker

l’m building a discharger for LiFePO4 280AH cells (bottom balance) and trying to estimate time to 2.5V. 

The discharger has four 50W/0.5 ohm power resistors in parallel on a heat sink.  Each cell is currently at 3.301V (70% SOC).  To estimate discharge time, I used formulas I=V/R and 1/Rt=1/R1+1/R2+1/R3+1/R4.  If RT=.125 ohms, then I=26.4 amps (I’m using #10 stranded).

280AH cell x 70% SOC=196AH to discharge. 196/26.4=7.5 hours.

Bill, can you or members review and comment, is 7.5 hours accurate?

Thnx a lot!  Rich