Xantrex XW MPPT 60s Display faded (fading)

Options
DMJ72
DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭
Good Night All,

I have had these charge controllers for almost 8 years on a 24-volt Conext SW system. Almost two years ago, we had a lightning strike not too far from my house and it took out a couple of my Midnite SPDs on the array and the e-panel. A few months later, the LCD on CC#1 started to display some characters incorrectly and over the following consecutive months, went totally blank. Occasionally, it will display rubbish.
Just today I noticed something similar happening to the edge of CC#2. 

Has anyone ever heard / seen this happening before? Both units work perfectly and communicate on the XANBUS network without issue.

I emailed SE to see if they had replacement DISPLAY boards ... but I received no response. 

Thanks for  any help / advice! 
DJ

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Schneider will not send you a display. If you had warranty, they would send you a new unit if the cause of the failure was not from a surge or lightning. The mppt logs surges and stores the data. Did you have SPD's on the input and output bus? Either way the only fix is going to be from a cannibalized unit. Not many have the skill or time to replace parts these days.

You can buy one from the store here for a fair price.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mike760
    mike760 Registered Users Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Options
    You could also put the old ones up for sale on ebay or something.  If you bought new ones and did that at least you might be able to reduce the overall cost of replacement.  I'd like to get rid of two 6848 XW+ inverters if anyone is looking.  They are about a year old.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    I don't know if it would fix your display--But I have fixed many "digital" problems by simply reseating cables and connectors. Just lift them up a bit and press back down (the sliding action can get clean metal to metal contact again.

If the rest of the system is working OK (connected to combox/computer/etc.), probably not worth opening and risking more issues.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • DMJ72
    Options
    Thanks folks for all the replies!

Schneider will not send you a display. If you had warranty, they would send you a new unit if the cause of the failure was not from a surge or lightning. The mppt logs surges and stores the data. Did you have SPD's on the input and output bus? Either way the only fix is going to be from a cannibalized unit. Not many have the skill or time to replace parts these days.

Midnite 300 SPDs were on the array, the CC inputs and the AC output of the inverter. I am thinking of looking for a "for parts unit" here or on ebay!

BB. said:
    I don't know if it would fix your display--But I have fixed many "digital" problems by simply reseating cables and connectors. Just lift them up a bit and press back down (the sliding action can get clean metal to metal contact again.

If the rest of the system is working OK (connected to combox/computer/etc.), probably not worth opening and risking more issues.

-Bill

Good point, when I can swap in a replacement for CC#1, I am going to do a teardown and implement what you have said. Will post any findings here! 

• Graham Parkinson
    Graham Parkinson Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Quite often LCD display issues are from corrosion or moisture seeping in from the edges of the glass panel.  I've had good luck with fixing these types of problems by disassembling the electrode coated glass-printed circuit board (PCB) sandwich, cleaning the glass and PCB contacts with isopropanol and reassembling. Usually pretty easy to do but takes some examining the units to see how they clip together.

No idea though how easy these MPPT displays are to open up, maybe someone else here has done this?

Offgrid in cloudy PNW

MacGyver'ed museum collection of panels, castoff batteries and generators - ready for state of art system install .... parade of surviving and dead generators: H650, Ryobi 900, Briggs and Scrap Iron 2000, H2200, H3000, Kubota 3500, Kubota 4500, Onan 7500

• mmercalde
    mmercalde Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Options
    16x2 HD44780 Character LCD Display Module LCD Yellow backlight.

Google that module. I recently swapped out the display on one of mine. Not too difficult
  • mmercalde
    mmercalde Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Options
  • DMJ72
    Options
    mmercalde said:

Thank you Sir , you saved the day! I will get this item and do the swap and report back here. Thank you!
  • DMJ72
    Options
    Thanks to all who assisted me in this. Just getting around to this, used a blue LCD as that I what I could source. I actually like the contrast of the white on blue. Purchased the LCD and breadboard pins from Amazon. 

This particular LCD does not support adjusting the brightness or contrast from the charge controller. But that is ok, it is perfect @ default.

Kind Regards and thanks,
    DMJ