Proper Shutdown / Startup Procedure for 2 Victron Inverters in Parallel

gbradleyviper
gbradleyviper Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2
Hello,

I just installed 2 Victron 24/2000/50 inverters and they are running in parallel. Do I have to reconfigure them each time I shut the entire system down or is there a procedure to follow where they do not loose the parallel configuration.

Thank you for your time,

Guy Bradley

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Welcome to the forum Guy,

I am just a volunteer here, so I cannot answer your questions (I have no special product knowledge). Just looking at the manual:

https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/wind-sun/Manual-MultiPlus-Compact-2000-120V-EN.pdf
    5.3 Configuration by computer All settings can be changed by means of a computer or with a VE.Net panel (except for the multi-functional relay and the VirtualSwitch when using VE.Net). Some settings can be changed with DIP switches (see Section 5.2).

For changing settings with the computer, the following is required:
    • VEConfigure3 software: can be downloaded free of charge at www.victronenergy.com.
    • A MK3-USB (VE.Bus to USB) interface. Alternatively, the Interface MK2.2b (VE.Bus to RS232) can be used (RJ45 UTP cable needed).

5.3.1 VE.Bus Quick Configure Setup VE.Bus Quick Configure Setup is a software program with which systems with a maximum of three MultiPlus units (parallel or three phase operation) can be configured in a simple manner. The software can be downloaded free of charge at www.victronenergy.com .

5.3.2 VE.Bus System Configurator For configuring advanced applications and/or systems with four or more MultiPlus units, VE.Bus System Configurator software must be used. The software can be downloaded free of charge at www.victronenergy.com .

5.4 Configuration with a VE.Net panel To this end, a VE.Net panel and the VE.Net to VE.Net to VE.Bus converter are required. With VE.Net all parameters are accessible, with the exception of the programmable relay and some other advanced settings.
    More reading:

https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/wind-sun/VE_Bus_Configuration_guide.pdf

And the warnings:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:manual_parallel_and_three_phase_systems

Parallel, split- and three phase VE.Bus systems

This manual explains the details of designing, installing and configuring three-phase and parallel systems. It applies to components that use VE.Bus, for example MultiPlus, Quattro and some larger Phoenix inverters.

IMPORTANT:

• Always update all units to the latest 400 firmware version (firmware update instructions).
    • Note that some parts of the description below apply only to 4xx firmwares.
    • All units in one system must be the same type and firmware version, this includes same size, system voltage, and feature set. The type is indicated by the first four digits of the firmware version number. For details, see the “VE.Bus Firmware Numbering System” section in the VE.Bus Firmware versions explained document.
    • Specify with your Victron distributor that you will be connecting units in parallel or multi-phase and identical units must be supplied.

Warning

Parallel and Multiphase systems are complex. We do not support or recommend that untrained and/or inexperienced installers work on these size systems.

Victron is able to provide specific training for these systems to distributors via their regional sales manager. There is advanced training theory and practical videos and competency exams for 3 phase and parallel installation and commissioning available on Victron Professional -> Online Training. You will require an installer account on Victron Professional to access it.

These should all be considered essential before attempting design or installation.

First get experience with smaller systems. If you are new to Victron, please start with simpler designs, so that you become familiar with the necessary training, equipment and software required.

It is also recommended to hire an installer that has experience with these more complex Victron systems, for both the design and the commissioning.

Have you talked with the supplier of your Victron Equipment?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • gbradleyviper
    gbradleyviper Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2
    My logical brain told me what to do. I had to power the system down last night to make wiring changes. I first turned off all breakers on the main panel. I then turned the slave off via the switch on the front panel. The master showed an alarm. I then turned off the slaves main breaker. I then turned off the master via the switch on the front panel. I then turned off the masters main breaker.

I made my wiring changes.

I turned the masters main breaker on. I turned the master on via the front panel switch. The master showed an alarm. Good sign. I turned on the slaves main breaker. I turned the slave on via the front panel switch. The alarm on the master turned off with a green light. The slaves green light started flashing.

I tested the system and everything works great.

I answered my own question. My shutdown sequence and startup sequence follows the initial configuration I performed when I used "VE.Bus Quick Configure". Victron made it where the units remember. I am very impressed with all the Victron equipment I have.

Guy Bradley
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Sounds like you did your installation and maintenance correctly!

Yes, modern inverters (and related charge controllers/stuff) have memory for the settings. A few (older models/other brands)--You can make the settings, but you may have to execute a "save command" to commit to "permanent" memory.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset