Conext MTTP 60 150 display issue

johnhall6095
johnhall6095 Registered Users Posts: 27 ✭✭
One of my fairly new MTTP 60 150 charge controllers is having a weird issue with the display... it's showing the "SYSTEM" values but keeps flashing "OUTPUT" briefly and won't let me scroll to the INPUT display without hitting the down button a bunch of times in succession.  Then it only stays on the INPUT display for a second before reverting back to SYSTEM.  This is hard to describe so here is a video showing the strange behavior:   

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gzh3joo3p7syr0p/MTTP60 display.mp4?dl=0

My other MTTP60 doesn't do this and I've tried copying the settings from the working unit but no change.  I've had some recent issues with my system when I added a Gateway (see my other post).  This display issue is a new one.

Any ideas?

John
15kW PV, Grid-tie + 1210AH Deka lead acid battery bank, 2 x XW6048, 2 x MTTP60-150, 1 x MTTP100-600, SCP, Gateway

Comments

• johnhall6095
    I was able to fix this be restoring factory defaults to MPPT02, copy config from MPPT01, then restore factory defaults to MTTP01 and copy config from MTTP02.
    15kW PV, Grid-tie + 1210AH Deka lead acid battery bank, 2 x XW6048, 2 x MTTP60-150, 1 x MTTP100-600, SCP, Gateway
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Sounds like you got it... The classic "reboot/reconfigure" for any digital device/charge controller:
    • Kill solar panel power first
    • Kill DC power to charge controller and wait 5 minutes
    • Reconnect charge controller to DC bus and let boot
    • Reconnect solar array
    And the other classic--Reset to factory defaults, power down as above, reboot and reconfigure/save configuration.

It is not unheard of for a software upgrade to get confused/not upgrade a database from an earlier software release--The factory default/reconfigure can fix these.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • johnhall6095
    Thanks Bill.  Yep, I always cut PV switch to CC first, then cut CC switch to inverter/battery. 

Taking a break from the 91 degree FL sunshine/heat while moving 4kW of ground mounted panels from staging area out to my field for the MTTP100 (4 x (4 x 250w)).

Staging:

Field:

... just 3 more to go!!!
  • BB.
    Beautiful grounds!  <3

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • johnhall6095
    edited July 2021 #6
    Thanks!  I started off building them with just an abrasive chop saw and SuperStrut fasteners.  Then it quickly evolved into buying an Evolution 14" metal chop saw and a DC stick welder!  Here's the lastest incarnation of my design with slide-on/off castors:

• BB.
    John, I am sure you know better than I... But you really need to make sure those panels/carts don't blow away in a hurricane. Or you can roll them into a secure building.

For permanent structures--You probably have local codes on designs and possibly even "wet stamp" engineering design drawings requirements for mounting the array.

Depending on brand/model/frames/mounting, panels can be rated from 50 to >200 lbs per sq foot (wind/snow/etc.).

-Bill
  • johnhall6095
    edited July 2021 #8
    Bill, once an individual 4-panel rack position is finalized, the wheels can be removed and Duckbill Earth Anchors used to secure the rack to the ground (https://youtu.be/-Vm81bq2zzo).&nbsp;

It is only my opinion that these are NOT permanent structures in as much as a portable generator is a permanent structure.  I am in dialog with the county engineers to determine how these racks will be categorized and what  uplift mitigation requirements will be needed.
  • BB.
    Sounds good John... When you get into NEC (national electric code) and local regulations (you Hurricanes, me Earthquakes and now wild fires), the lines and requirements can get blurred.

Just want to make sure you are safe and don't get blindsided by local inspectors and their requirements.

Have fun,
    -Bill
  • johnhall6095
    Thanks Bill.  My original 5kW tracking pole installation, back in 2008, was a permitting nightmare as the county permitting office didn't know much, if anything, about solar.  So, they were creating their solar permitting codes/fees as I was trying to permit my project and get it inspected!  It all worked out in the end but it was a painful process at that time.

John