Outback VFX3524M When AC syncs Inverter turns off

jbreezy
jbreezy Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
Hello we have just started having a problem with our Outback VFX3524M inverter we purchased as a replacement for an older model last summer. No changes to settings or the system before the problem started.

When we turn the generator on it syncs with no problem but then the Inverter light goes off and so does the power to the house.  On the mate it still reads as on and doesn't not respond to being switched off and on in the mate.  
The AC inputs from generator at the inverter read at 120.

When I bypass the system the house run fine off the generator.  Any guidance would be helpful.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Do you have a meter (kill-a-watt type or DMM) that can measure frequency of your AC line from genset?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Did the replacement ever work with a genset?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• jbreezy
    The replacement has been working for a year.  I don't have anything that can read the frequency at the inverter.  But the genset's read out is at 63 hrz .
  • Dave Angelini
    edited July 2021 #5
    You kind of did not answer the question. You can widen the input on CSW to max frequency but 63 hz is pretty far off. Try another genset? Put a load on the genset the next time you try beside the charger.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited July 2021 #6
    For loading the genset (stabilizing voltage and frequency), people used to use one or several 100 Watt lights (filament type)--But with LED bulbs and energy conservation, filament bulbs are not very common in the stores these days... A simple smallish electric desk heater can be a quick load (or a larger space heater set to low power).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jbreezy
    I adjusted the governor on the generator to get to 60.5ish with load and adjusted the voltage back to 120.  I haven't seen any change to the system.  With out the generator system seems to be running fine.  Its been cloudy but when the sun is out the batteries see higher amps and the inverter send power to the house no problem.  
    Once the generator syncs up the output power drops to 0v and there is no increase in amps at the batteries.
    The generator has been working fine over the past year with this inverter.
  • Dave Angelini
    edited July 2021 #8
    Since it did all work at one time, it is either a bad genset, bad transfer relay or other damage in 3524, or bad programming. If you are sure it is programmed correct still, I would borrow or obtain a 2nd genset to eliminate this block. If the replacement was a rebuilt unit, I would get a 2nd inverter charger. There are many out rebuilding these units and I have heard the comments about them not being reliable.

Here is the manual. Check page 39 for AC input symptoms!

https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/wind-sun/Outback_fx_vfx_mobile_manual.pdf