Fried conext sw4024

2»

Comments

• DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭
    Re: Fried conext sw4024
    jtdiesel65 wrote: »
    update:

Evidently Schneider found a software timing issue and there is a firmware fix in test. I'm told it will fix the problem. Sandra/Schnieder is working on getting me the proper parts to make the AC panel's bypass functionality work while I'm waiting for the firmware.

I am glad they found this bug! Hope you get it up and running soon. I see that the Stacking ports are not used according to the manual, one wonders why they are there in shipping hardware if they are redundant....

I have this inverter and its excellent. Have not attempted any stacking as yet. Do you think Sandra@SchniederE would be receptive to a firmware feature suggestion? Currently when the CSW qualifies an AC input, it activates the relay and charges/passes-through. I wish they would put in an Outback HBX like functionality where the inverter would qualify AC but only switch to it when the batteries were low. Thats how we tend to do "off-grid" solar here in the Caribbean where we use AC in as a backup as the Sun is mostly very reliable.
  • jtdiesel65
    jtdiesel65 Solar Expert Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    DMJ72 wrote: »
    I am glad they found this bug! Hope you get it up and running soon. I see that the Stacking ports are not used according to the manual, one wonders why they are there in shipping hardware if they are redundant....

I have this inverter and its excellent. Have not attempted any stacking as yet. Do you think Sandra@SchniederE would be receptive to a firmware feature suggestion? Currently when the CSW qualifies an AC input, it activates the relay and charges/passes-through. I wish they would put in an Outback HBX like functionality where the inverter would qualify AC but only switch to it when the batteries were low. Thats how we tend to do "off-grid" solar here in the Caribbean where we use AC in as a backup as the Sun is mostly very reliable.

Never hurts to ask about a firmware feature request.

I still get some random faults on my stacked units:
    f72 ac out assoc mismatched
    f87 inconsistent frequencies
    w92 ac connected to 3 phase

The last time I got a w92, it was with the generator off and generator breakers off. I would hit the fault reset and the warning would come right back. The only way I could get it to go away was to hit the DC disconnect to power off the units. Strangely, the warning was never logged in the device info. The f72 and f87 are completely random, but don't seem to be as frequent as they used to be. The faults just randomly happen. Sometimes during the day or middle of the night. They don't coorespond to loads or generator usage. The problem with these is the inverter will stop inverting for a a second when these hit, so there is a power outage. More recently I've been getting f75 on the slave which is lost connectivity with master. This happened a few times in March spontaneously without ever seeing an f75 since being installed in November. I upgraded to cat6 for more shielding than the stock cables in November too.

Anyway, if you do stack units be aware that the neutrals have to be isolated. The wiring diagram in the manual for stacked inverters is wrong. Also, if you plan to use the schneider AC panel and stacking kit, be aware that you will at a minimum have to add another bus for neutrals. There won't be breakers to switch neutrals in the kit. As i understand it, the neutral will be connected from gen in to house out via the inverters. If you want to bypass and remove the inverter, you will either need switchgear for neutrals or install a jumper wire across the neutral buses. The other thing I think is possible an issue with the AC box is also that it has 60a breakers from the generator that feed #10 wire. That seems a bit high to me. In the stacking kit, you actually get another 60a breaker so the generator would feed loads through 2 dual pole 60a breakers. Not sure what kind of setup would ever need two 60a breakers given that the inverter side uses 30a breakers. Not to mention thats quite a large generator.

and as I write this the power just flickered which likely means another f72 or f87
  • DMJ72

Thats unacceptable this late in the game for those sorts of firmware errors being thrown up like that. Not to mention the errors in the manual (thanks to you, this has come to light). If Schneider Electric does not sort out their act fast, the Outback Baby Radian is going to eat their lunch even though its more expensive!
  • Longboat
    Longboat Registered Users Posts: 11 ✭✭

Hello all,
    I have a similar problem. I have purchased the Schneider AC switchgear – and the SW4024 (single inverter). My switchgear also does not have a neutral wire for the AC output from the inverter. Is there a final determination as to whether or not a neutral line is required? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Longboat
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

As of now the Conext SW needs separated Input and Output neutrals only on the duals. If you look at the E-Panel wiring diagram here it shows it pretty well:

http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/MNSW2524D-2CL150-REVB.pdf

Our next revision sheetmetal has a 3 pole breaker that will connect those neutrals when bypassed.
  • Longboat
    Longboat Registered Users Posts: 11 ✭✭
    halfcrazy wrote: »
    As of now the Conext SW needs separated Input and Output neutrals only on the duals. If you look at the E-Panel wiring diagram here it shows it pretty well:

http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/MNSW2524D-2CL150-REVB.pdf

Our next revision sheetmetal has a 3 pole breaker that will connect those neutrals when bypassed.

Thank you.

Was there a final determination as to whether the neutral-to-ground bond occurs in the SW4024?
    Or is a separate one required at the panel?

Much appreciated,
    Longboat
  • jtdiesel65

IIRC, there was continuity from the ground to both neutrals on the inverter.
  • jtdiesel65

update:

Schneider replaced my 2 conext 4024s, 2 dc panels, ac panel, and stacking kit with 2 XW4024s and relevant panels. A year later from the original problem and dual conext system was still having issues. I was having intermittent faults, charging problems, incorrect SCP load readings and the other issues mentioned earlier. I basically went a year without being able to have the generator configured to start automatically. So I asked for replacements and they offered the XWs. Being a year later is unfortunate, but at least Schneider didn't give up.

Hopefully the XWs work out. With hands on installation experience with both, I can say the XW's are a much more refined product. Everything from the packaging, the manuals, to the design of the panels is superior to the conext series.
  • DMJ72
    update:

Schneider replaced my 2 conext 4024s, 2 dc panels, ac panel, and stacking kit with 2 XW4024s and relevant panels. A year later from the original problem and dual conext system was still having issues. I was having intermittent faults, charging problems, incorrect SCP load readings and the other issues mentioned earlier. I basically went a year without being able to have the generator configured to start automatically. So I asked for replacements and they offered the XWs. Being a year later is unfortunate, but at least Schneider didn't give up.

Hopefully the XWs work out. With hands on installation experience with both, I can say the XW's are a much more refined product. Everything from the packaging, the manuals, to the design of the panels is superior to the conext series.

Good to see they did right by you, but I am disappointed in how the stacking of this inverter ended up for you. Makes me wonder if Carib has been right all along. Lets see some pics! :)
  • lost trail
    lost trail Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭
    update:

We are having a similar issue with stacking our SW 4024 's and trying to decide whether to try to fight through it with Schneider or take a loss and get a new Magnum system. How has your system been working since installing the XWs? Any hiccups?
  • jtdiesel65
    lost trail wrote: »
    We are having a similar issue with stacking our SW 4024 's and trying to decide whether to try to fight through it with Schneider or take a loss and get a new Magnum system. How has your system been working since installing the XWs? Any hiccups?

No problems with the XWs. One thing about the XW is weight and form factor. Two of them plus panels plus clearances takes up a lot of wall space. They are heavy. So depending on where your equipment is, you may or may not have a problem. I had to move some stuff to make room, but It wasn't a huge deal.
  • galaxy_zone
    galaxy_zone Registered Users Posts: 1

I guess it could be also becsuse of some wrong inverter parameters settings . Bcause my conext sw2425 was working fine for about 4 years.but oneday i changed the device parameters setting in inverter mode section through conext combox from master stand alone to single fase stand alone, becaue i have only have one set inverter so there are no master or slave are working togather, i thought that was right thing thing to but it is not .. it was fool thing to do since my device was woking fine for 4 years with no issue .. and after i changed this setting my problem started , and when the generator switch off my device made that sound which was mentioned here in this forum and loaded to YouTube ..

I just wants to share that with you it might help someone .. make sure about the inverter mode parameters setting with your applicable situation accordingly..

• Mwaka
    Mwaka Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭

I guess it could be also becsuse of some wrong inverter parameters settings . Bcause my conext sw2425 was working fine for about 4 years.but oneday i changed the device parameters setting in inverter mode section through conext combox from master stand alone to single fase stand alone, becaue i have only have one set inverter so there are no master or slave are working togather, i thought that was right thing thing to but it is not .. it was fool thing to do since my device was woking fine for 4 years with no issue .. and after i changed this setting my problem started , and when the generator switch off my device made that sound which was mentioned here in this forum and loaded to YouTube ..

I just wants to share that with you it might help someone .. make sure about the inverter mode parameters setting with your applicable situation accordingly..

I think you mean "single phase master" to "single phase stand-alone." I dont think there is sych thing as "stand-alone master"
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an old thread Mwaka but you bring up a very good point that always needs to be kept in mind offgrid.
    Do not change settings unless you know why you are changing them and for what reason.
    Firmware is even more of an issue these days as it is written much more frequently because of new grid requirements.
    Read the release notes and unless there is a compelling reason for upgrade, just leave it alone. You have better things to do !

The original problem here was solved by Schneider. They have not sold or supported for 5+ years, master and slave configs for CSW.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Mwaka
    Mwaka Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited April 2021 #46
    This is an old thread Mwaka but you bring up a very good point that always needs to be kept in mind offgrid.
    Do not change settings unless you know why you are changing them and for what reason.
    Firmware is even more of an issue these days as it is written much more frequently because of new grid requirements.
    Read the release notes and unless there is a compelling reason for upgrade, just leave it alone. You have better things to do !

The original problem here was solved by Schneider. They have not sold or supported for 5+ years, master and slave configs for CSW.
    Thanks, Dave. Incidentally, I have used a pair of conext SW 2524s in dual unit configuration for years without errors. Not that I would recommend for anyone to try it this late considering available newer options.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome ! Also note that CSW 2524 is out of support now also. The replacement CSW4024 is about the same price.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net