Buck/boost module

Roser
Roser Registered Users Posts: 1
Anybody have a suggestion on a good buck/boost module to incorporate in my system to help charge my (48v)200ah LifePO4 battery bank. I recently installed 1.5 KW Wind turbine from hurricane wind power and a 5KW Wind/solar PWM charge controller, i’m having trouble finding a good buck/boost module to help charge my battery bank. Any suggestions would be helpful...???

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I am not in the business... But I fear you are "ahead of the curve" looking for a larger boost (or buck-boost) digital switching power converter for use with a Wind Turbine.
    The only units I could find mentioned (with a quick search) were 300 Watts maximum. Almost all Wind and Solar systems need the "voltage source" to have a greater voltage than the battery bank. Besides Buck converters being more efficient and cheaper than buck-boost converter, it also allows higher voltage/lower current wiring from Turbine/Solar array to battery bank and save on cost of copper wiring.
    There are a fair number of MPPT (maximum power point tracking) charge controllers that down convert (buck mode) only. And MPPT type converters can help increase harvest from a good design/running wind turbine. Many are programmed to "match" the RPM/Current curve of the turbine's alternator.
    In general, the "correct" solution would be to exchange/replace the 12/24 volt turbine with a 48 volt turbine and controller.
    If you had no other choice--You could connect to a 12 or 24 volt battery bank, and use a DC to DC boost converter and charge controller to charge the 48 volt battery bank--But this would be a "less than ideal" solution (more costs, more maintenance, more losses)... But it would work with what you have.
    -Bill "my guesses" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • KMac
    KMac Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭
    I use a 600w version of the Tumo-Int hybrid controller, that boosts.  I  hook it up to a small netbook via USB (must buy cable from them) to set patameters  It allows me to set the boost curve parameters so I can harvest more energy with 24v turbine on 24v system.  It basically increases the voltage to charge when turbine is spinning but voltage would otherwise be too low.  I know they have a 1000w version I am looking at since my 600w turbine has been to 1200w in high winds and easily can see 800w regularly.  Took awhile to figure out some of the instructions but they have videos in American English that helped a bunch.  Anyway it's a rare one that actually boosts well.  Here is a link to one, but only an example since it's only 1000w and ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tumo-Int-1000W-MPPT-Wind-Turbines-Windmills-Boosting-Charger-Controller-24V-/233817192027?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292