Xantrex xw 6848 shut down based on soc

mahendra
mahendra Solar Expert Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
Is there a way to turn off or put a xantrex xw6848 in standby mode using the xantrex battery monitor and xantrex system control panel?

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it is called Inverter enable/disable in the SCP. You can also do this on the front panel of any XW.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mahendra
    Excuse my explanation but I mean for. This to be done automatically and not manually. The system has scp, battery monitor in xanbus
  • Dave Angelini
    edited March 2021 #4
    Please say this in a different way! I do not understand. It sounds to me like you want to charge the battery and then have Soc from the Batt Mon put the inverter into standby or off? The more you explain and tell about the system the better the answer!
       Also what XW 6848 do you have the + model or the Pro?

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I think he wants to via programming to automatically (for example) shut down (place in standby) the inverter at 50% SoC and restart at 80% SoC.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mahendra
    Exactly BB and its an xw+
  • Dave Angelini
    edited March 2021 #7
    Hmmm, typically the Inverter is left on as the inverting loss is pretty normal for this big of an inverter. Is that why you want to do this?
    You did not list an MPPT, is there one, is this on or offgrid. There are so many possibilities. 

As long as you do not turn the XW+ off the devices in the system will continue to be on the network. If you turn XW off, network power will go off and the devices will not communicate. 

In XW+ Standby, most anything is possible and modbus code is available from Schneider to do custom requirements. You probably do not want to do this?

A simple way to do what Bill is suggesting is by programming LBCO to do this and widen hysteresis. The inverter will go to standby at a specified voltage and restart at above that point. This is all available on the SCP.

I think you would need the Gateway to do what you want as the Schneider Battery monitor is not going to be able to put an inverter into standby. It just does not have that ability. Below is a gateway screen to configure it's internal charger for Soc. This should interact with the Bat Mon but I am missing why on this one. Stumped!

Bill, I am kind of in a mental freeze on this, Why would someone, do you think,  want to do this?

• mahendra
    OK to be a bit more specific. The system is an off grid system with a fortress10kw lithium battery.
    All components are xantrex as I mentioned except for charge controllers (customer choice) which are outback.
    The system would be left to run cameras, refrigeration equipment and lighting when owner is away.
    Owner is requesting a fail safe turn off the inverter if ever the battery goes below 30%soc.
    LBCO is not very practical for lithium.
    There is no generator or grid power. 
  • Dave Angelini
    Without Schneider mppt's or gateway you can't do this easily. Schneider made the XW+ BTW,  before that it was Xantrex  XW.
    I think you need to look into getting Soc from the monitor and control a relay controlled by XW+.
    XW Pro was developed to add more of these functions and RULE 21 controls.  XW+ just did not have the memory/speed and that is why it was discontinued. Maybe someone else has an idea.

The easy way is to spend more money, a bigger battery is the insurance for refrigeration. You have too many constraints and I have to run. Good Luck!

• mahendra
    Thanks