Charge Controllers vs Array Input

Options
InCogKneeToe
InCogKneeToe Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Me again, So help me understand the 550 watt Max suggestion of my C 40 Charge Controller vs 5.8A Max output of 100 watt 12v panels.

5.8A x 5 panels=31.9A max output even before Amp Loss from the wiring. I have never seen much over 20Amps running 4 100watt (5.8Amax) panels at the Controller.

Calculated backwards 40A/5.8 (100)=689 watts Array.

My thought process here is adding a 195 Watt Panel making a total of 595 Watts or 45 watts over recommended Max for the C40.

3 runs of 2 100s/2 100s/1,195watt each run fused @ 20Amp for 12AWG wire size under 40' runs.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    edited March 2021 #2
    Options
    More or less, the basic math using typical values:
    550 watts / 17.5 Vmp = 31.4 amps spec
    700 watts  / 17.5 Vmp = 40 amps max
    700 watts * 1/17.5 Vmp * 1/1.25 NEC derating = 32 amps derated
    So one question is the NEC derating reasonable?
    For PWM controllers, probably a bit much.
    Imp (solar panel current) is not affected by temperature very much. And actually current falls a little bit.
    It is Vmp  that rises as temperature falls. So derating a controller for high voltage and power can make more sense... But only for MPPT type controllers.
    PWM: current from panel in = current out to battery
    MPPT:  Vmp * Imp in = Vbat * Ibat out
    Higher Vmp when cold gives more power and current to battery bank.
    Would I be worried about 10% more array for your usage, not really.
    However,  if you are concerned that you are not getting full current to the battery bank?  That may because of voltage drop of 40 feet of cable and hot panels.
    What is the value length (one way run) and AWG of you array cable?
    17.25 Vmp * 0.90 warm panel detating = 15.5 Vdrop temperature to controller input.
    Looking at 12 AWG  15.5 Vmp  40 feet  20 amps cable:

Result

Voltage drop: 2.54
    Voltage drop percentage: 16.40%
    Voltage at the end: 12.96
    You only get optimum charging current to the battery bank with battery at 12.96 volts or less.

Battery charging at 14.5 volts, the panels are not at Vmp any more. 

Look at MPPT controller and rewired array would be better

MPPT is usually much better for long wire runs to the solar array.

Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    Options
    Adding more panels to this array--May not materially add to your maximum charging current.

For curiosity--What is Vpanel-input and Vbatt-output on your C40 controller when you have "max charging current"?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • InCogKneeToe
    Options

Thanks Bill

I have 4 100 watt panels on the roof, 2 runs of 12AWG (2 panels per run) at 25'

The 195 Watt Panel, I am ground mounting (hopefully) about a 40' run of 12AWG. Or would the Backside of the Roof (East) be a better approach to catch some morning sun. It would be Shortened Harvest by obstacles

I have my C40 set at 13.6V  and 14.5V But my Shunt Meter has shown as high as 14.7V

• 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021 #5
    Options
    I've had 1000 watts of Canadian Solar panels plus some other random panels at 24 volts with my C40. Max amps peaked at 57.5 and it never crashed. So you may be able to exceed the maximum recommended for a short time anyway. 
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • BB.
    Options
    • 2 x 100 W @ 5.8 Amp (11.6 amps for 2 parallel panels) panels @ 12 AWG @ 25' -- Assume Battery charging at 14.5 volts:
    https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html?material=copper&wiresize=5.211&voltage=14.5&phase=dc&noofconductor=1&distance=25&distanceunit=feet&amperes=10.8&x=67&y=18

Result

Voltage drop: 0.92
    Voltage drop percentage: 6.35%
    Voltage at the end: 13.58

• 14.5 volts battery + ~2.0 volts for controller/wiring drop = 16.5 volts "ideal" Vmp-array @ temperature
    • For panel/Array Vmp--Say 15C "warm day" (Ontario Canada?), 100 Watt panels, Vmp~17.25 volts, Imp~5.8 amps
    Guessing at -0.45% drop per C over 25C cell temperature with 20C rise:
    • 17.25 Vmp * -0.0045(15Cambient-25Cstd+20Crise) = -0.78 volt drop @ 15C ambient
    • 17.25 Vmp - 0.78 volt drop = 16.48
    • Panel "ideal" Vmp-15C ~ 16.48 volts and Vmp-ideal ~16.48 volts -- A "perfect match"
    Vmp-array at 15C is almost identical to the required minimum voltage needed to charge your battery bank on a "cool/clear" day.

A quick look from the math side--I am not sure why your array is "under performing expectations" @ 20 amps measured *(?). (4x 5.8 Imp = 23.2 amps)--To be honest, that is pretty close to what you would expect from the array on a very sunny day, near solar noon, and panels tilted towards sun.

However, when you get to 35C hot summer days:
    • 17.25 Vmp * -0.0045(35Cambient-25Cstd+20Crise) = -2.33 volt drop @ 35C ambient
    • 17.25 Vmp - 2.33 volt drop = 14.92 Vmp-array@35C
    So--On a hot summer day--Your array temperature drop and wiring drop puts your system about (16.48-14.92= ) ~1.56 volt off the Vmp@35 peak voltage--Note great.

One quick test--With the battery bank "discharged" and/or put a "heavy load" on the battery bank to get the controller to "bulk charge" state (maximum current through controller)--You could use a DC Current Clamp DMM to measure each string (current for each string should match pretty closely) or disconnect (or flip combiner box breaker) one string at a time (or unscrew on panel connection at a time) and see that each string is carrying roughly the same current... Any single string that is 20-50% less than the rest--May be a wiring or panel failure.

Adding another panel.. Do you have the Vmp/Imp of that panel? The Vmp should be around 17.5 volts ideally. A 195 Watt panel may have Vmp~30 volts--That will "work" with the rest of the "17.25 volt" array--But will have less "real power":
    • 195 Watt panel / 30 Vmp (if GT type panel) = 6.5 amps Imp
    • 6.5 Imp * 17.5 volts typical Vmp (12 volt panel) = 114 Watt "equivalent" wattage on C40 w/ 12 volt battery bank (but "great" Vmp-panel@high temperatures--This will not "lose" current flow due to hot weather).
    The other choice--MPPT controller, and wire 100 volt panels in 2s x 2p for Vmp-array ~ 34.5 volts... See if your 195 Watt panel has a Vmp~35-38 volts or so... That would make the system perform well in cold and hot weather. And get another ~81 Watts from the 195 Watt panel... But--Everything has to "match" Vmp-string voltages... you really don't want a Vmp=30 panel in parallel with Vmp=34.5 volt 2s panels for optimum MPPT performance.

Sometimes, it is difficult to justify trying to "salvage" the old hardware (100 Watt panels and PWM controller in this case)--But just use the old panels elsewhere (sell to somebody else) and buy a "matched" set of large format panels for your "new array and MPPT controller".

-Bill
  • InCogKneeToe
    edited March 2021 #7
    Options
    New Panel

195W Monocrystalline Solar Panel
    High Efficient Monocrystalline
    Rated Power: 195W
    Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 21.6V
    Short Circuit Current (Isc): 10.83A
    Working Current (Iop): 9.02A
    Output Tolerance: ±3%
    Temperature Range: -40℃ to +80℃
    Size: 58.3*26.3*1.4 inch (1480*668*35 mm)

The 4 Other Panels

Power Rating:
    100W

Working Voltage:
    17.1V

Amperage:
    5.8A

Solar Technology:
    Crystalline

The 4 100w panels are on a Shingled Roof Westerly exposure, slightly angled to the south. They gather 18A often and I have seen 20A at times. Heat from the Shingles might be causing some losses, but I just thought that it was Wire losses.

So adding 9A to this should still be well within the C40's capabilities. On the Ground I figure I can tailor it's facing to gather more efficiently. 

The other avenue is the back side of the roof, (East Side) and grab the Morning's sun. About a 25' run. But there is a Large Rock Cliff blocking any sun for the first few morning hours.

The system seemed more stable before switching to the C40, but I added 2 GC2 batteries at the same time, and didn't have a Meter on it for awhile after the change.

PWM Controller is important for the Cold (-40), Snow Covered Months that I May not be able to get to the system for months. But if a MPPT is needed, it can be arranged. I don't want to start over with all new panels also though.
  • BB.
    Options
    With a PWM charge controller, the reason for "thermal losses" is different. It is because of "low" Vmp-hot is not high enough voltage and any wiring voltage drop just makes the problem worse. 17.1 volt Vmp for the 100 Watt panels is already pretty low--Add voltage drop from the 25 foot wire run just makes the drop worse. With PWM controllers, you are "matching" the solar array Vmp/Imp with the battery bank Vbatt and Ibatt values... Sort of like a 1 speed bicycle. When all "matches" it is the most efficient system.

With MPPT, it is like having a 10 speed bike. You just set the array voltage "much higher" than battery voltage. And the MPPT's internal switching DC to DC Buck Mode converter "shifts gears" to optimally match available input power to output power. Not taking losses into account:
    • Power = Voltage * Current
    • Vmp * Imp = Vbatt * Ibatt (the "10 speed transmission" effect--Optimum pedal speed/torque for rider--Optimum "RPM" and "Torque" to the battery bank)
    • And because Vmp "falls" as panels get hot, there is less power available on the input, so less power available to the battery bank.
    Vmp is a rounded "curve", not a sharp peak. Your system can be "off the peak" and the output does not "fall off cliff". This thread has some curves for solar panel Vmp (and Imp/Pmp/etc.) based on voltage and temperature:

https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/5458/two-strings-in-parallel-with-unequal-string-voltages

You can see a Vmp~35 volt panel has a rough +/- of 5 volts (equivalent to Vmp~17.5 volt of +/- 2.5 volts) with pretty good harvest. But when panel hits +10 volts over Vmp (or +5 volts over Vmp for 17.5 volt panel), the power harvest hits zero Watt (no current flow). Note that Vmp curves are referenced to 25C cell temperature. There is an adjustment curve showing Voc (and close enough for Vmp use) based on temperatures over/under 25C).

https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/5458/two-strings-in-parallel-with-unequal-string-voltages

Regarding east facing array... Lead Acid Batteries need "hours on charge" to fully recharge (especially if you deep cycle below ~75% state of charge). And with short winters, "virtual tracking" can add those sorely missing hours.

With simple Solar Electric Handbook, you can see how much overall harvest you lose with different panel orientations. For example, W/E/S facing 45 degree tilt array in Ottawa Canada:
    http://www.solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html

Ottawa
    Average Solar Insolation figures

Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a solar panel set at a 45° angle WEST:
    (For best year-round performance)

JanFebMarAprMayJun

JulAugSepOctNovDec

Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a solar panel set at a 45° angle EAST:

JanFebMarAprMayJun

JulAugSepOctNovDec

Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a solar panel set at a 45° angle SOUTH:

JanFebMarAprMayJun

JulAugSepOctNovDec

You can see that your E/W vs S solar is losing around 1/2 hour (1.67 vs 2.09 hours of sun) of harvest in Winter, and almost 1 hour of harvest (3.94 vs 4.94 hours) in Summer.

You can model the time on sun and overall harvest with the PV Watts program. It has an Hour by Hour spread sheet output option for 365 days a year--If you want to really model the various options in detail:
    https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/

In Winter, a larger array of (2.09/1.67= ) 1.25x would make up for the "non-south" facing loss of harvest (with the advantage of more time on charge from morning to evening).

You did not give us the Vmp/Imp of the 195 Watt panel--But guessing it is closer to 17.5 or 18.0 volts.. Which does help you with the PWM controller (higher Vmp peak voltage).

If you where going to transition to an MPPT type charge controller--Could you get a second 195 Watt panel... You could then put 2s x 2p of the 100 Watt panels and 2s x 1p of the 195 Watt panels into an array--And have high enough Vmp-array for a very happy MPPT controller.

Add a link to David Angelini's Post about why mixing panels and array directions with a single MPPT controller can be an issue (article is written towards comparing central GT inverters and micro-GT inverters)--But does discuss MPPT issues:

https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/comment/393434#Comment_393434
    The arrays harvest need good static mpv and dynamic. There are plenty of cases where one controller fails to do this right. The article below was from 2010 when we were field testing the first 600v mppt. The shade tolerant feature was pretty amazing and it worked well in moving clouds.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6024911/uploads/editor/37/fpqzmxmhly43.pdf
    With MPPT controller and an East/West array--Having one MPPT controller trying to track the two different arrays could give you poor harvest due to the variable Vmp-peaks with the different array temperatures and shading... Not all MPPT controllers are equal, and you may find that you need an "east" and "west" MPPT controller for optimum harvest with the two arrays (two array = two MPPT controllers).

-Bill

• InCogKneeToe
    edited March 2021 #9
    Options

Thanks Bill Again

The MPPT does sound interesting, however I don't believe that my 100w panels can be wired in series. So I may as well stick to the PWM Controller for them. I worked with an Off Grid guy who tried to use these panels in his system and found that out. So I am stuck with 12v or a complete new Array.

I have a spare 30A PWM that I can use with the 195 watt panel, but unsure if the 2 CC would be competing well with 20A (4, 100watt array)  coming from 1 and only 10A (1, 195watt array) coming from the other. Also having 2 CC drawing in those Winter Snow Covered months.

I think I will try the 195w+400w into the C40, all aimed the most productive way. If it is too much, I can switch the 195w panel to try for an earlier harvest time. Maybe even start it that way.

My system works ok 90% of the time. It's the 3-4 weeks Summer Vacation stay when the Fridge is added that causes the issues.

I want to replace 4 older 12v DC LA batteries that I have with 4 GC2 6v (totaling 6) but I am having trouble getting them locally. March 23 I have to travel and hope to find some then.

Currently I have 650ah, moving to 690ah with the 6v GC2.

• BB.
    Options
    Just to double check the charging current.
    • 650 AH * 14.5 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings * 0.05 rate of charge = 612 Watt array minimum
    • 650 AH * 14.5 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings * 0.10 rate of charge = 1,224 Watt array nominal
    • 650 AH * 14.5 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings * 0.13 rate of charge = 1,591 Watt array "typical" cost effective maximum
    Your 400+195=595 Watt array is just at the minimum I would be be suggesting for charging. OK for Weekend/Sunny weather charging, but if you are closer to full time off grid usage, 10%+ rate of charge is better. Usually 10% minimum rate of charge is the requirement for FLA deep cycle battery manufacturers.

Nominally, for a daily use system, 2 days of storage and 50% discharge (for longer battery life) is a good place to start--1 day of storage+50% dischage for RV/weekend systems... 3 days+50% for longer "bad weather" ride through.
    • 650 AH * 1/2 days * 0.50 max discharge = 162.5 AH per day (or over night) battery usage:
    • 650 AH * 12 volts * 0.85 * 1/2 days * 0.50 discharge = 1,658 Watt*Hours per day nominal usage
    With a well running 595 Watt array, you would need an array of:
    • 1,658 WH per day * 1/0.52 off grid system eff * 1/595 Watt array = 5.4 Hours of sun per day "break even"
    That is a lot of sun.. For a weekend system, you have the rest of the week to get back to full charge. For a daily use system (or weeks at a time during "cabin season"), you probably would need a backup genset to get the battery bank full at least once a week (again, depending on your daily loads).

And adding a refrigerator is usually the load that takes an off grid system from "small" to "medium" size.

Just adding batteries to a "too small" solar array for the loads, many times, ends up undercharging/over discharging the battery bank. The #1 cause of early battery failures.

Just some food for thought.

-Bill
  • InCogKneeToe
    Options

Thanks again Bill.

Yes I am more about "Storage" than "Usage" normally. 5 days of "Charge" for 3 nights of "Usage"

I do have a 30A 120v battery charger hooked up, almost every even the small genset is running for movies and a few lights, that charger also starts to replenish my batteries.

It is the Mornings of the week long stays that has me concerned and needing more A/H and run a 1000w Inverter. When I get up it can be down to 11.8V That is after it being topped off at night by the 120v charger.

The 6v Batteries that are available here are 230ah@6v. so 4 would only leave me 460ah@12v, 6 will be 690ah@12v.

I cannot figure this out, there are many Outpost Cabins running a fridge and lights with only 300watt arrays

• BB.
    Options
    A 300 Watt array with 4 hours of sun tilted towards south:
    • 300 Watts * 0.52 off grid AC system eff * 4 hours of sun = 624 WH per day average
    The average "full size" fridge is around 1,000 WH per day or more (1.5, 2+, kWH per day typical).

For a very efficient small fridge (for example, people take a chest freezer and use a "refrigerator thermostat" and can get down to 250 WH per day...

There are a lot of true 12/24 VDC compressor based refrigerators out there:

Most seem to run around 60 Watts.. .Assume 50% duty cycle:
    • 60 Watts * 0.50 * 24 hours per day = 720 WH per day (pure guess)
    DC fridges are not cheap:

Still 600 to 800 WH per day @ 10-31 VDC input.

Chest Fridge OR Freezer (must order as F/R and is small capacity) around
    Voltage 10-31 VDC
    Average Energy Use - DCR50 Refrigerator 114 Watt-hrs/day at 32°C
    9.6 Amp-hrs/day at 12V, 32°C
    Average Energy Use - DCF50 Freezer 280 Watt-hrs/day at 32°C
    24.5 Amp-hrs/day at 12V, 32°C
    Gross Capacity 50 L
    1.8 ft3

-Bill
  • InCogKneeToe
    Options

Yes, I can see where a 12v fridge/freezer would help immensely, just not having to run the inverter and it's losses.

However, the Bar Fridge used now is actually a we bit small at around 3 ft3. A 12v 5.4 ft3  and runs at 240Wh/day,(as a Fridge) so a 400 watt array should keep up.

https://sundanzer.com/product/dcr154-dcf154-5-4-cu-ft-154-liter-refrigerator-or-freezer/

So now it's Does one buy a $880 Electric, or a $1500 Propane, for 3-4 weeks a year?

• BB.
    edited March 2021 #14
    Options
    For 3-4 weeks a year,  look for a used absorption RV from an RV wrecking yard?
    And around 1 lb or less of propane per day...
    Or a cheap 120 vac chest freezer with a fridge thermostat and a 1,200+ watt inverter.
    Opinions and options.
    Bill