Haiti "Optima Eau pour Batterie"

Options
KeithWHare
KeithWHare Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
I was in Haiti last week, working on a solar electric system. To maintain the fluid levels in the batteries, they are using a product called  "Optima Eau pour Batterie":

Here is the English version of the directions:

I didn't smell anything when I sniffed it. I didn't have a Total Dissolved Solids meter with me nor did I try tasting it.

I am guessing that this is just distilled water with some marketing, but was wondering if anyone has any additional information on this product.

Keith

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And a higher price...  Probably Distilled and De-ionized...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Stezzzy85
    Stezzzy85 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi!! it's the only one liquid we  have in HAITI to refill lead acid..I wonder if it could used for VRLA/SLA battery when theirs cells are dry?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    In general, only distilled water or de-ionized filtered water is used to refill lead acid batteries.

The electrolyte consists of sulfuric acid and (distilled) water. It is only the water that (generally) leaves the battery (both at hydrogen oxygen gasses, and some evaporation. So, only water needs to be resupplied over time (some batteries use more, some use less), and others have catalysts to recombine H2+O2 gasses (palladium or similar) and/or a "filter" to separate the "mist" into liquid (drain back into battery) and gasses (vent).

On the chance that liquid electrolyte is lost (i.e., spilled or overfilled battery), refiling with a a standard strength electorolyte could be used (I guess)--But it is something usually avoided.

There are some battery additives that claim to improve/fix/slow aging of Lead Acid batteries (or even mineral oil floated on electrolyte to reduce misting/evaporation of water), but usually are avoided as not always good for batteries and sometimes make batteries difficult to recycle (i.e., cadmium additive).

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=lead+acid+battery+additives&atb=v122-1__&ia=web

The Optima liquid is probably just distilled water--But not tested/packaged for human consumption (not made sterile, etc.). I would not want to "dose" batteries with more "battery additives" every fill--Even if the aditives work, would not be very good dosing (too little at first, too much at end).

VRLA (valve regulated lead acid) and other "sealed" lead acid batteries--You can add distilled water to flooded cell. AGM and GEL type sealed batteries, not so easy to "rehydrate" correctly. (AGM are "starved" electrolyte in glass matts, GEL have electrolyte + some sort of silica product to make a stable electrolyte GEL).

You can buy catalyst caps for some batteries (not cheap, sometimes hard to find/out of stock, and do have limited life as the catalyst eventually fails):

https://www.r-charge.net/Lead-Acid-Battery-Cap-Hydro-Caps-For-T105-and-L-16_p_134.html

And there are the "filter" type (glass or plastic beads to condense liquid from mist):

https://www.solar-electric.com/batwatmiscap.html (there are different sizes available--I think--NAWS only has one size on their website--I do not work for NAWS, so that is about all I know)

Your question about adding water to VRLA/Sealed batteries that are "dry"... You don't want to let the plates to ever be exposed to air--They quickly corrode and will eventually fail.

Always refill (with distilled water) before the plates are exposed... And avoid filling a cool battery to the very top. When the batteries are charge, they get warm/hot (electrolyte expands) and they gas (gas bubbles take volume)--Both can easily cause electrolyte to go out the top of the battery (making a mess, and the question of to refill with water, or an ~1.265 specific gravity pre-mixed electrolyte).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset