Max input solar panel jackery 1000

Options
dwd902
dwd902 Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭
Hello all.  I already have an off grid solar set up for my cabin.  I also have a jackery 1000. I know its not the best and has flaws.  I want to get some panels because i currently charge the jackery with the DC  from my cabin.  I live in NH and the days are getting shorter and i need a way to charge the jackery with panels and want the highest possible to chatge as quick as possible.  Before everyone tells me how crap the jackery is i purchased it to do laundry for cloth diapers for my newborn child.  I am aware the max is 30 volts and 10 amps and 200 watts. 

Comments

• dwd902
    dwd902 Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Options
    Would it be possible to have 4 100 watt panels in series parallel to have 24 volts at 10 amps? Would that work?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    Options
    I guess this is the unit?

https://www.jackery.com/products/explorer-1000-portable-power-station

1002 WH, 46.4 AH, 21.6 volts battery voltage (?)

The specs give a 7 hour charge rate through the DC input:
    • 46.4 AH / 7 hours = 6.63 Amps average rate of charge through external chargers
    200 Watts of solar:
    • 200 Watts * 0.77 panel+controller eff * 1/21.6 volts = 7.1 amps charging (solar)
    8 hours to charge by solar--Seems a bit "optimistic" (I would expect it to take longer--Most places do not have 8 hours of "noon time equivalent" sun--Closer to 1.5 to 2.0 days to recharge from attached solar).

DC input = 12V-30V (200W Max)

Looks like a single 100 Watt solar panel is a Vmp=~18 volt panel ... Not sure if two panels is series or parallel connection--But from the DC input spec... I would guess they are connected in parallel.

If the solar charge controller is MPPT type... The typical type is a buck converter (takes higher voltage and down converts to lower voltage--I.e., Vmp=18 volts, battery=12 volts). There are boost type solar converters (take 18 volts in, give 24 volts to battery)...

The max solar input in the FAQ says:
    A: The maximum input wattage of Explorer 1000 is 200w(12~30V,7.5~8.33A ). As for recharging time, it depends on which panel you are using and weather conditions, for example, the Explorer 1000 can be quickly recharged within 8 hours by connecting two SolarSaga 100W solar panels together with an adapter cable. If connecting only one single panel, the approximate recharging time is 17 hours. Recharging time may varies from different location, temperature, weather etc, the actual time may be different.
    I don't see any way of charging quicker than 7-8 hours through the DC input interfaces...  The solar specs don't quite make sense.

200 Watts / 7.5 Amps = 26.7 volts (Vmp array?)
    200 Watts / 8.33 Amps = 24.0 volts (Vmp array?)

The Vmp-array is 18 volts per the 100 Watt spec sheet...

If you could get to the batteries directly--You could probably charge them much faster--But without knowing the specifications (charging voltage, any BMS limits, etc.)--Not sure how that could be done relatively safely (avoiding overcharging/damaging the batteries). Would need some sort of charge controller to limit the battery voltage to XX.X volts (whatever that is).

A bit more information about Lithium NMC type batteries (from Jackery FAQ):

https://www.batteryspace.com/LiNiMnCo-Cells/Packs.aspx

About all I can offer....

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset