Optimze the use of your solar energy with an intelligent solar controller, controls 8 mains circuits

BertvdBerg
BertvdBerg Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
Hello,
After spending two years manually turning on and off two water heaters, a pool pump, Jacuzzi and electric car charger I decided to build an intelligent controller that automatically does what I would do based on rules and assigned priorities.
Got the start of a website and short video going that explains the theory and operation here:  www.solar-optimizer.com
Any suggestions for improvements, changes and features are welcomed.
Regards,
Bert van den Berg

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    I looked at your site referenced above.   Really no device specifics for how this operates these devices. Wi-Fi? Bluetooth? What are you using for switching at the device end.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I believe that Mr. Van den Berg is out of New Zealand--So folks down in that part of the world may have easier/cheaper access to his product and services.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BertvdBerg
    BertvdBerg Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
    I looked at your site referenced above.   Really no device specifics for how this operates these devices. Wi-Fi? Bluetooth? What are you using for switching at the device end.
    Hi Dave,

The solar controller has three radios, WiFi, Bluetooth and an HC-12 long range 433 Mhz transceiver (1.8 Km range).   We are not currently using the WiFi and only using the Bluetooth at this time to look at and log data/performance.   At the breaker panel/electric box is a small board that measures the solar energy and main power and sends the information to the controller via a 433 Mhz transceiver.  The remote controller has all the intelligence, algorithms, rules, etc. and decides what mains circuits to turn ON/OFF and when.  It then sends a signal back to the electrical panel PCB which then turns on the appropriate circuit using DIN mounted voltage controlled contactors.

There is an option to do away with the radio and extra electrical box PCB and hard wire the controller to the contactors but then we would not have the flexibility to view the information and manually control the system anywhere we want.

Regards,

Bert