Outback skybox documentation and tech support nonexistent....off grid no load

electrictrauma
electrictrauma Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭
The skybox produces power from the solar and charges the batteries but the batteries only power the inverter and neither solar nor batteries support load with grid down. The load is protected and using self consumption mode.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You would need to list or screenshot most all of the config choices that you have made. Support from Outback is not quick unless you are an installer and familiar with the current support. Who did you buy it from and who installed Skybox?

You also can go on the user forum at Outback. I know they look at it and keep it accurate several days a week. Self-consumption is mainly to stop any selling to the grid for homes that the utility has not approved.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Ampster
    Ampster Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020 #3
    I am not clear which mode you are running and whether you are on the grid or off the grid? Is this a new installation? Also you say the batteries only power the inverter but not the load? Can you explain in more detail what the inverter is doing if it is not supporting the load?

Have you tried rebooting and/or changing modes? I have a Skybox and have been running in Self Consumption mode. That is a grid zero mode. I agree place a trouble ticket with Outback and they can diagnose it remotely if you are connected to internet. I find a trouble ticket and a post on the Outback forum gets the best response. If you don't hear in a few days call them. I am not an installer and have received good support going back to a Radian I had five years ago.
    8 kW Enphase micros AC coupled to a SolArk 12K
  • electrictrauma
    New install, running from grid but no sell back. The batteries lose charge every day and get charged but never see anything but solar array power loads, also skybox remains powered if grid goes down. If the grid goes down both the grid and load icons go dark. Yes have rebooted and tried all modes. I don’t see any options I can change that make sense. Outback was good with me at first the electrician I hired wired it incorrectly and had it fixed, now just feel ignored, have called and emailed.
  • Dave Angelini
    Self consumption is always grid based. Offgrid by nature charges the battery and only uses power for day loads and at night from the battery if solar is the main source.

To the OP, is there a critical load panel wired?  You  registered and are on the Outback forum? I dunt see ya  ;)

• electrictrauma
    Yes, the whole house other than the 240 breakers is protected load. I just tried joining the outback forum and got a denial of certificate from my browser. Think I read they are moving to a new platform due to security issues. 
  • Dave Angelini
    edited August 2020 #7
    Just accept it, I get that also using chrome.

The reason I suggested that is since you are not the installer I do not know what your skill level for this.
    I also feel that the installer you hired should know all of this and help you !  I get hired by electricians enough that really do not know the equipment they are installing. The O forum is good at helping you if you did not do the system configuration.   Good Luck !