Options
armyaviator
armyaviator Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
`

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Have you checked the Ground Fault "Detection" fuse(s) to see if they are blown? Assuming you are using a grounded solar array.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    Options
    I don't know... In general, I do not like the idea of using a fuse between battery ground bus, and safety ground (which is what most systems do--Popping a fuse or circuit breaker when there is a short circuit is very anti-safety ground).

With the specific 600 volt input Schneider controller, I do not know how it is designed. Most solar charge controllers do not have an isolated input. The solar panel "ground"/negative is carried through to the battery bus side of the controller on most all other solar charge controllers.

What that means is that if there is a "ground fault short"--That the fault can be on the Vpanel wiring side, or it actually can also be on the DC Battery Bus side--And the controller can shutdown for either case. And while you are hunting down looking for a short between + or - on the Vpanel wiring side, there is actually a short on the DC + or - side of the wiring system (+ or - short to Safety/Green Wire grounding side).

Installing a fuse in the solar charge controller(s) allows up to 1 amp of current between the grounded array side (typically negative of the solar array is connected to safety ground through the controller ground fault detection fuse). If the fuse is conducting current (between 0 and 1 amp), everything is "Okay". If the fuse blows, then the controller "sees" a voltage difference between negative solar bus and safety ground), then the controller faults.

Another test (and frankly how I think all solar power systems should be wired)--Put a 6 AWG (or heavier) connection between the solar negative input terminal (assuming negative ground) and your green wire safety ground (your system ground rod/array frame-rack ground/etc.

The normal place to tie Safety Ground to DC ground is the negative ground bus of your battery negative bus bar--But since I do not know if the Solar charge controller is "transformer isolated" between Vpanel and Vbatt (you would ground the Vpanel negative to safety ground/chassis ground of the controller) or "not isolated" (you would normally connect battery bus negative to safety ground bus), you may need to try both.

You could try using your volt meter and measure from Vpanel negative to Vbatt negative and see if there is near zero volts (not isolated) or if you see a few volts or more difference (probably isolated from Vpanel to Vbatt).

When connecting the ground bond wire, just be careful. If you have a short between + or - and safety ground, it is possible you will get a good size spark (again you can use your volt meter to confirm... If near zero volts, should be no spark).

A good way to check for solar/battery negative to safety ground is to clip a filament light bulb between the two grounds first, and see if it lights up. Volt meters have very high input resistance and sometimes you get a "charge" between the two circuits (like charging a capacitor), and you really do not have a "solid connection". The light bulb can discharge that "static" like charge and give you a "better" reading of what is really happening.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    Options
    Not sure why Armyaviator deleted the posts--Got this message:
    Thank You for the wealth of information!  I appreciate it.  This morning the "F56" ground fault did not reappear; and I'm not sure why.  I did several things yesterday: placed box fan directing cooler air to charge controllers (garage in florida summer is brutal)...and took photos of arrays and wiggling and testing connections on the 4 strings of 10 panels in series....i didn't see any evidence of any arcing or loose connections and then last night i reconnected the dc lightening arrestors.   one of those things might have disrupted the cause(s) of the F56 fault...i will keep watching and pray the gremlins not return...lol

In general, we do not delete posts here--This allows people down the road to read about similar issues they may have and how people addressed those problems.

-Bill