Question on adding more panels to my Schneider 6848 xw+

dbarnard67
dbarnard67 Registered Users Posts: 36 ✭✭
I have 15 300 watt panels currently feeding my 6848 xw+, it is utilizing the midnite 6v combiner.  My question is how many more panels would anyone be comfortable adding to the current system before I need to add another 6848 to the mix.  Currently right now the panels are all facing south with the exception of 4 that have a slight southwest tilt to them.  I would like to add 9 to 12 more to point more east and west for that rising and setting sun to open my sun hour window.  I am at the top of a high hill that has exposure.  Right now in the height of the day the system shows a max of about 4000 watts coming in from around 11 am until about 3:30 pm.  Like I said just wanting to open up the time that these panels are "catching sun".  Been off grid for a little over a year now and have learned quite a bit going through each of the seasons.  And if anyone knows anything about an Onan RS 12000 generator I had one given to me that is not working, have some questions on it.  Thanks again.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The charge controller is where you would address the issue of adding more power. Many offgrid homes use as much solar as they can to get thru the winter. You could double or triple the solar, it really does not matter to the inverter/ charger.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• dbarnard67
    Thanks Dave.  I was getting conflicting answers on that and glad you cleared that up.  I have a midnite classic 150 charge controller, which has a max of 98 amps incoming so will work with that, and worse case could add a charge controller for another full on array.
  • Dave Angelini
    edited August 2020 #4
    Welcome!  If you add another controller, add a Schneider as it will network with your XW.

• boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Since you are using a 48V system I thought I would mention that the 98 amps for a Classic is for output to the battery at 12V... 

It is less for a 48V system.   Make sure the Classic is not current limiting somewhere in the 80 to 90 amp range.

Can't remember the exact limit at 48V.

boB
  • dbarnard67
    Will do boB.  Dave, one last question since you know the Schneiders better than anyone.  Should I look at getting 2 Schneider controllers and taking out the Classic.  Could always use it as a spare since it is always good to have a backup around?
  • Dave Angelini
    There are quite a few Schneider engineers up in Burnaby who I use for Schneider referencing, so thanks but...A bare bones XW system can network support about 5 MPPT's and more if you use the gateway. The display below sums them all up into an easy to see graphic.