Epever charge controller

Options
donniesuits
donniesuits Registered Users Posts: 3
I have a small solar setup and need a new charge controller. I was looking at the epever CC and see they have 2 which are similar. 

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the tracer AN vs the Triron models?  They look almost the same except the Triron is modular. The tracer AN is $20.00 cheaper. The Triron i think is a newer model but I don’t see a lot of people using it online. Where as a lot of people seem to be using the tracer AN. 

Thanks 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Donniesuits,

Can you give us links to the two models?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • donniesuits
    Options
    The links to each model is listed below.  Thanks for the help. 

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    One nice thing about the newer Triron 40 amp unit, is it has a higher operating voltage (around 138 to 150 VDC)... That is nice for larger arrays and/or longer distances from array to battery bank (higher voltage array means smaller gauge wiring and less money).

Another question--Do you see any need for USB/Remote communications/remote relay controls? Different display options? If not, probably don't spend the money.

Another issue--With new/configurable systems--There is a chance that they may have bugs/need software upgrading. Making sure you have the proper computer (windows/apple/etc.) and communications port to make software upgrades could be helpful down the road.

I am sorry, I really do not have anything further to offer. 

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • donniesuits
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I would only need the 20amp CC at most. 12v lighting for my shed and landscape lights In the yard and a dc to ac  inverter to use small electric tools a few times a year for an hour or 2.  Just looking for efficiency in a controller due to only getting 4 hours of full sunlight a day. After that the neighbors trees blocks the sun for a good portion of the day. 

I will go for the cheaper model dual panels in series pushing 40 volts or so

thanks again