Multi Color LED, Xantrex C Series

InCogKneeToe
InCogKneeToe Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Ok, as noted earlier, I was gifted (well bartered) a C40 CC. New in the Box suppose ably. I does show some signs of Clamp Screw tightening. After hooking it up, checking the settings, I noticed the Multi Colored LED is missing. As if, it has been connected to a Remote Monitor and the LED removed.

I plan on getting a Remote as soon as the borders open. Sold here.  https://www.solar-electric.com/c40-r50.html

But where can I find a replacement LED? Green Red Orange 2 Pin. Or at least the specs for one.

All Testing says it is working, and I scabbed an LED from an old Car Stereo into it so I can watch Blinks/Times/Solid, but not color. 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • InCogKneeToe
    Yes, just a basic LED, but what parameters?

Green Volts, Red Volts, Orange Volts. 

I emailed Xantrex, still waiting on a reply.
  • BB.
    I believe that a 2 pin LED would usually be Red or Green. The "orange" should be just switching rapidly between Red/Green (sort of a guess on my part--There are LEDs that are addressable--But I doubt they are using these).

I would try the 20 mAmp at ~2 volts -- For $0.50 to $1.00 -- Not much harm in trying (of course, not sure what minimum costs for a couple LEDs is from Digikey). Note that many of the options are based on packaging (bulk, tape and reel, frosted/focus/etc.)... Same LED, just look and feel & how it is used in Mfg. process.

If you put the LED in, and it shows Red instead of Green, just turn the LED 180 degrees in the socket (as I recall from some post years ago).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • InCogKneeToe
    edited June 2020 #5
    Perfect! I am just heading into Winnipeg for the Misses Medical. I will hit an Electronic Shop.

Like I mentioned, an old amplifier LED is in there now and Blinking 4, 5 and solid. But just 1 color, and to short of leads to exit the chassis. I couldn't solder on extensions with a torch very well.

I would guess Red being higher voltage in Equalization Mode. I am not sure reversing would do that?
  • BB.
    You could also take two LEDs of different colors (rated around 20 mAmps), and simply solder them back to back in (sort of) parallel. You want to reverse the leads so that "forward" voltage/current through one lights Green, and reverse the voltage/current lights the Red (or whatever handy colors you have).

Different colors have different operating voltages... Sticking with Green and Red with similar forward voltages will (probably) better match what the C40 is designed for.

-Bill
  • BB.
    Red is slightly lower forward voltage vs green -- But forgetting the details for a moment--Assume that both LEDs are very similar electrically.

Get two LEDs (hopefully red and green, but you could use two greens). Take one LED and clip the leads the length you need to plug into the socket.

Take the second LED and parallel solder to the first LED with short leads (not to socket). But wire it "backwards" with respect to the first LED. I.e., Cathode of LED A to Anode of LED B. And Anode of LED A to Cathode of LED B.

Now you have a bi-directional LED. - to + on LED A will light. Reversing the voltage, + to - on LED A, will cause LED B to light. Ideally, Red and Green.... But if you have (for example) two Green LEDs, The "top" Led will light with - to +, and the "bottom" LED will light + to -... And both will light if the LED terminals are subjected to "AC Voltage".

And get a cheap soldering iron...

-Bill
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    OP better check if wind and sun really have it.   All C series have been on discontinued product list for several years now.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• InCogKneeToe
    edited June 2020 #9
    Ok I understand reversing polarity switches the color. This must mean that the C40 switches the socket to do the same thing Correct?

Then How is Orange achieved?
  • BB.
    edited June 2020 #10
    I think that is what the C40 is doing...

For Orange, I believe it is just Red+Green on at the same time (i.e., you hit the LED with rapidly switching +- and -+ (like 3 volt AC cycle). (I believe R+G gives you an orange / gold color--But I am a guy and only know 16 colors :)  ).

A nicer bi-color LED explanation:

https://www.instructables.com/id/The-RedGreen-LED-Guide/

-Bill
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    It's worth searching it out. My C40 ran faultlessly from 1996 until last week.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.