XW-6048 DSP D1 D2 lights out

Options
EpicEnergy
EpicEnergy Registered Users Posts: 2
I am in the middle of repairing an old xw 6048 2011 model and ran into something very odd. Apparently the customer has admitted it took a DC power surge meaning he had a DC water pump hooked onto the 48 volt battery bank and it blew the hose off forcing it to surge at high speed. When shutting it down on the breaker (positive side) it shut down the inverter. This suggests to me it possibly ran backwards for a few seconds forcing positive power to the negative or ground side.  When he tried to re fire, all that happened was the inverter turned on but the SCP did not come on. Three bars on the main control panel, no faults. Pushing the power button  shows the inverter turning off, pushing again lights up all the control panel lights properly but then goes to the tree bars. This suggests the inverter is in standby or pass threw.  We tried a new SCP with no results also tried connecting a configuration tool but there seems to be no power on the xanbus side. Taking the inverter face panel off we see the lights for D-16,24 and 25 are all on but D-1 and D-2 are out. This suggests the 5 volt and 15 volt power supply is out for the Xanbus system. Also there is no light on for the power to the network and fan control board. Tryed connecting the SCP into the spare Xanbus on the DSP but no power there. 
  So board replacement time. We have a XW6048 operating in our shop so decided to try replacing boards starting with the DSP and network boards. After replacing and firing up we had the same results. Our focus went to the the AC and EMI boards. First tested the F1 fuse which was fine. We figured it was good as the lights on the DSP 16-24 and 25 were all on. 25 being the firmware confirmation as well. So we decided to exchange the board despite not seeing any sign of anything damaged or hot. Replacing this board also made no change in the inverter. Decided to go ahead and exchange the AC board  and off coarse no change. 
  So we checked to be sure the fan was operational via a 12 volt battery. It was fine. we have 50 plus volts every where coming in. So we are now totally baffled. There seems to be no DC damage anywhere except the Xanbus and no AC damage at all but no way to find the problem. Also, no way to turn the inverter on.  
  If someone has any thoughts or has had this kind of problem please respond. 
...Epic Energy. 

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020 #2
    Options
    Did you go backwards with the bad unit pcbs to the good unit? This is very risky by the way, especially if there is an issue in the power bridge. I would not do this if this was offgrid. Well, I have but there were spares to the spares.

What about any sense of smell or black particles. You did look at each component for signs of physical damage.
    This unit is way beyond support from Schneider. Close to 10 years BTW. You probably know this.

Damage could also have been from lack of SPD and caused latent damage that just surfaced with your pump issue. Large DC pumps need serious protection and are one of the very few things besides lightning that can kill an XW.

Here are a few places I have shipped recently a 125 pound XW well packed on a pallet.

I have a list of 3 repair shops for XW. Please email at the address below in my sig.

The two way shipping of an XW can and often is the deal breaker. Even with a 30 to 90 day repair guarantee it is risky, even for a spare to the spare. There is a reason Schneider wants you to replace this besides their profits. Good Luck!

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• EpicEnergy
    EpicEnergy Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for that information.
      There is absolutely no sign of anything burnt and no smell of any kind. As for re-installing the boards in the working unit, all is well. Repair by shipping the hole unit would be out of the question as the shipping alone, as you mentioned, is extremely high. Also, the unit is already 9 years old and just not worth the risk of spending that much on it. If it had any physical sign of damage at all, I would definitely not spend any time on it, but sense it looks perfectly fine, and the power does come on, really thought it would be worth trying to fix. 
      Thanks for your help and if you do have any other ideas on where to look for the problem, let me know. 

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020 #4
    Options
    OK , makes sense. I will take a look in my notes from the repair class up in Burnaby. Long time ago and it was mainly focused on board level field repair. I use to do warranty for them in Norcal. Too much travel for me.... So what is the current state? D1 and D2 off and no network power? All other leds are on? Sure about that, there are many. The  DSP sensing and control board from bad unit worked in the good unit?

Just in case, you are holding the power on button for 2 seconds?

Sum it up and I will take a look.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net