Best microinverter for AC coupled charging

fredk
fredk Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭
Hi, I am looking for a better microninverter for my AC coupled charging... my system currently is 3.4 kW of DC charging and 500 watts of AC coupled using an APsystems QS1 4 input microinverter... (2x250Watt panels using 2 of the 4 inputs) the microinverter is great.. BUT I can only configure it over a cloud connection which I find limiting as I am offgrid..  I am in the process of upgrading the AC coupled charging to 2.2kW so need to add another microinverter... and it would be nice to have one that I can program and monitor locally, open to any experience or suggestion
offgrid workshop-- XW6848 Pro, 3.4KW (10x340W Sunpower ) Schneider MPPT 60-150, 20KWH 58V leaf lithium

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Why? For a average Offgrid power system? Why?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• fredk
    fredk Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭
    fair question... without getting into what 'average offgrid' actually looks like...
    In my case I think I have a few good reasons for doing a combined DC and AC coupled system

a)  in my climate... Southern West Coast of Canada... I have only a couple of kWh of load during the non sun hours... my loads happen during waking daylight hours which makes them easy to pick up with AC coupling... the inverter is only there to do the grid forming ... AC loads are hot water heater, heat pumps... etc.. which are only run during daylight hours

b)  with AC coupling ( and with my load only happening during daylight) it makes my inverter look bigger than it is... leaving more headroom for motor starting etc... so my 6.8kW now can look like 9kW with my 2.2kW of AC coupling

c)  my existing DC charger is maxed out with 3.4kW of panels, so I avoid the extra expense of another DC charger and much more expensive DC wiring and fusing

d)  my roof layout is not straight forward and AC coupling allows me to install panels in areas that get best sun and tie them in using much more economical wiring... in my case saving 200ft of DC wiring if I was going to do those as DC coupled...

e)  my battery only really comes into play during non sun hours and supplying peak deman... and at 20kWh has had no trouble supplying the nighttime load 

I am aware of some of the downsides of AC coupling and the challenge for me is to make a combo system like this as reliable and safe as the DC systems in general are... I do have a number of safetys in place and everything working well with the system with 10kW DC 500W AC coupled... scaling that up now to 2.2kW AC.... we'll see what happens...

offgrid workshop-- XW6848 Pro, 3.4KW (10x340W Sunpower ) Schneider MPPT 60-150, 20KWH 58V leaf lithium

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Average offgrid to me is keeping the system simple with minimum chance of the damage that AC coupling can do to a small system 20 KWH battery. Taking a bit of a risk but it is your dime.  AC coupling will add power, but the surge ability is from xwp. Good Luck.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net