Flexible panels as window / controller awnings

Options
garynappi
garynappi Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭
I've maxed out my southern exposure wall space / real estate for panels but... I do have a 22"-30" wide spot where my controller is housed that I had considered making an awning for to keep it out of the sun. Then I had an epiphany... why not use a 100-200 watt flexible solar panel mounted vertically there instead as an awning? 

I'm thinking fabricating a mount should be rather easily done, has anyone done this and made mounts commercially? 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    Could you do standard glass paneled silicon panels instead?

In my humble opinion, flexible panels last around 5-10 years maximum. And sometimes as little as 2 years.

I would only use flex when you have issues of vandals. A little more Rick resistant (not much more).

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • garynappi
    garynappi Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭
    Options
    BB. said:
    Could you do standard glass paneled silicon panels instead?

In my humble opinion, flexible panels last around 5-10 years maximum. And sometimes as little as 2 years.

I would only use flex when you have issues of vandals. A little more Rick resistant (not much more).

Bill
    Well, I respect the opinions quite a bit of those here no problem there :-) 

The problem I'd have with hard panels is having enough room under them to service / inspect the CC box. The angle of a hard panel would make that impossible. 

But 5-10 years is acceptable, but 2? Not so good. Do you all think that would apply to ETFE panels also? Can the life expectancy be limited by the flexibility? To minimize flex I would make the mount curved and solidly supported. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    I guess they are more rock resistant, if the vandel is named Rick (I have to watch autocorrect on my phone a lot closer--It seems to be doing more of this).

I am certainly not the expert... But if you could use standard glass faced panels, they would generally last much longer. Could you hinge the awning for service (fold up/sideways, lift top from wall and swing down)?

Hopefully, some other folks here can add their experiences on flex panels.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • divideoverflow
    divideoverflow Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options
    I don't have any firsthand experience, but I personally know 3 different people (and have followed a few others on Instagram) who started with flexibles and replaced them within 3 years due to outright failure or unacceptable loss of power production.

One of them used the panels as window awnings on his RV. Replaced them with 200 watt hard panels, and they just swing/tilt up on a hinge system.