solar CC question

Rv_Adventure_Couple
Rv_Adventure_Couple Registered Users Posts: 29 ✭✭
I have a 150v/40a mppt cc
I am wondering if I can series / parallel 6 of these panels and use that CC?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Still 24 VDC battery bank? If yes, then 3x panels in series x 2 parallel strings would be better.
    • 6 x 200 Watt panels * 0.77 panel+controller deraring * 1/29 volt battery charging = 32 Amps typical maximum charging current
    So--No problem that I can see.

If 12 volt battery bank, then 2x series x 3 parallel would also be fine.

On this pael with 20 amp series protection fuse/breaker requirement, you really do not need a 3x fuse/breaker combiner box because 2x Isc is less than 20 amp rated fuse/breaker.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Rv_Adventure_Couple
    BB. said:
    Still 24 VDC battery bank? If yes, then 3x panels in series x 2 parallel strings would be better.
    • 6 x 200 Watt panels * 0.77 panel+controller deraring * 1/29 volt battery charging = 32 Amps typical maximum charging current
    So--No problem that I can see.

If 12 volt battery bank, then 2x series x 3 parallel would also be fine.

On this pael with 20 amp series protection fuse/breaker requirement, you really do not need a 3x fuse/breaker combiner box because 2x Isc is less than 20 amp rated fuse/breaker.

-Bill

Yes it will be hooked to a 24v 300ah lifepo4 pack.
    Just to be sure this is the CC model Tracer4215BN
    Their spec sheet says 1040w max at 24v
    Just to double check I can run 6 of these panels just like you said in 3x panels series x 2 parallel strings?

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited April 2020 #4
    Is this the controller?

https://www.amazon.com/SolarEpic-Charge-Controller-Tracer-4215BN/dp/B00YCI48F4

There is a manual download there too.

You need to read through the manual and make sure it will meet your needs, and that of the LiFePO4 batteries.

As I recall, for LiFePO4 batteries, the controller needs to have zero temperature offset (programable?).

This controller does not list Lithium support in the manual, so you will have to check to see if you can program it to meet the needs of your bank.

Yes, it looks like 3s x 2p is fine. The Amazon listing says 1,200 Watt array max @ 24 volt battery bank.

I know nothing about the brand...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Rv_Adventure_Couple
    BB. said:
    Is this the controller?

https://www.amazon.com/SolarEpic-Charge-Controller-Tracer-4215BN/dp/B00YCI48F4

There is a manual download there too.

You need to read through the manual and make sure it will meet your needs, and that of the LiFePO4 batteries.

As I recall, for LiFePO4 batteries, the controller needs to have zero temperature offset (programable?).

This controller does not list Lithium support in the manual, so you will have to check to see if you can program it to meet the needs of your bank.

Yes, it looks like 3s x 2p is fine. The Amazon listing says 1,200 Watt array max @ 24 volt battery bank.

I know nothing about the brand...

-Bill

Yes that is the controller, I bought the same one but it also came with the MT50 display to program it. It will program in for lifepo4