Dissertation about the 'Sharing' of Energy

UlasY
UlasY Registered Users Posts: 2
Hello everyone,

I am an undergraduate student at Newcastle University London and I am currently writing my dissertation about the peer-to-peer trading of energy (the concept of the sharing economy, e.g. Uber or Airbnb). I am exploring how willing energy producers are to sell/'share' their excess energy via digital platforms and what their motivations would be for that. It would be a great help and appreciated if you fill out my questionnaire which does not take longer than five minutes.

This is the link to it: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/DYB39P8

Thank you for your time! 

Comments

• clockmanfran
    clockmanfran Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
    I am English and living in Normandy France.

We here have a small community of buildings that we supply our own power, we generate about 15Kw of renewable energy.

I looked at your survey, its pretty skimpy, but not sure what you are actually asking.

In France by Law I am not allowed to sell any excess energy except to EDF the French Government owned main Utility supplier.

For a domestic property you can only sell a maximum of 3Kw back to EDF. 

The official paper work and visits by officials and the upgrading of their services to accept more than 3kW becomes deliberately prohibitively expensive for normal folk like us.

In theory what you are attempting is possible, however in the present climate and the present business models the actual reality within Europe means its a non starter at a practical level.

Everything is possible, just give me Time.

The OzInverter man. Normandy France.

3off Hugh P's 3.7m dia wind turbines, (12 years running).  ... 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 years) .... 14kW PV AC coupled using Used/second hand GTI's, on my OzInverter created Grid, and back charging with the AC Coupling and OzInverter to my 48v 1300ah batteries. 

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt an undergrad paper would be expected to present a fully formed case for P2P energy trade.  It obviously touches on a lot of disparate subjects (commerce, economics, politics, math, engineering, etc.).
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • UlasY
    UlasY Registered Users Posts: 2
    I am English and living in Normandy France.

We here have a small community of buildings that we supply our own power, we generate about 15Kw of renewable energy.

I looked at your survey, its pretty skimpy, but not sure what you are actually asking.

In France by Law I am not allowed to sell any excess energy except to EDF the French Government owned main Utility supplier.

For a domestic property you can only sell a maximum of 3Kw back to EDF. 

The official paper work and visits by officials and the upgrading of their services to accept more than 3kW becomes deliberately prohibitively expensive for normal folk like us.

In theory what you are attempting is possible, however in the present climate and the present business models the actual reality within Europe means its a non starter at a practical level.

As Estragon said, there are a lot of aspects in the P2P trading of energy, especially because it is such a novel concept. Obviously it is very hard or even impossible to implement this concept without government regulations, but participation of people is just as important (even more important in my opinion since they are the prerequisite for the occurrence of the sharing economy), which is why I am studying that topic.