Measuring AC output of my wind turbine

Options
usernamemous
usernamemous Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭

I have a 3 phase 2kW, 48V wind turbine and I wanted to measure the AC output of the turbine from the 3 hot wires from the turbine. I tried reaching out to various monitoring companies but none of them were able to provide a solution because I was restricted by the 32Hz rated frequency and all the off teh shelf monitoring equipment are rated for 50Hz/60Hz.

Can anyone guide me on what instrument should I use to measure the 3 phase output of the turbine (Voltage, Current, Power and Energy)? Thank you!

Ps. The turbine is an axial flux and has 3 leads coming out of it

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    A big part of the issue is defining the loads... Constant voltage, constant resistance, constant power, and MPPT/RPM based load/converter, are the basic options. Alternator/blade performance will be highly influlanced by the types of load(s).

I have no idea if they can help, but the founders of Midnite Systems have a long industry track record of starting companies and designing equipment for OGP. They have done lots of design work for their MPPT based charge controllers and interfacing them to Wind Turbines (their Classic+Clipper system).

https://www.powerandtest.com/power/engineered-systems

They have been pretty open with supporting folks out there (and occasional postings here and other places).

I know nothing about this company, but they may be able to help with off the shelf, or even do modifications to full custom instrumentation:

But I am still kind of at a loss... Alternators are pretty well known devices and the design parameters can be checked (theory against actual) to confirm design/mfg. processes. But wind turbines (in my ever be it so humble opinion) are much more a creature of aerodynamics and blade design (and variable pitch are even possible--Basically versions of aircraft props). Add a tail or even electronic controls to point into the wind, and emergency braking/shutdown (multiple independent stopping systems suggested, if a critical installation).

In the end, you can have a wonderful alternator and a terrible aero design (both operationally, and long term operation/maintenance wise--such as bearings, seals, ice, moisture corroding windings and rare earth magnets, access to turbine, fatigue, etc.). Let alone site issues (wind, turbulence, nearby obstacles).

Take care,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • usernamemous
    usernamemous Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Options
    BB. said:
    A big part of the issue is defining the loads... Constant voltage, constant resistance, constant power, and MPPT/RPM based load/converter, are the basic options. Alternator/blade performance will be highly influlanced by the types of load(s).

I have no idea if they can help, but the founders of Midnite Systems have a long industry track record of starting companies and designing equipment for OGP. They have done lots of design work for their MPPT based charge controllers and interfacing them to Wind Turbines (their Classic+Clipper system).

They have been pretty open with supporting folks out there (and occasional postings here and other places).

I know nothing about this company, but they may be able to help with off the shelf, or even do modifications to full custom instrumentation:

But I am still kind of at a loss... Alternators are pretty well known devices and the design parameters can be checked (theory against actual) to confirm design/mfg. processes. But wind turbines (in my ever be it so humble opinion) are much more a creature of aerodynamics and blade design (and variable pitch are even possible--Basically versions of aircraft props). Add a tail or even electronic controls to point into the wind, and emergency braking/shutdown (multiple independent stopping systems suggested, if a critical installation).

In the end, you can have a wonderful alternator and a terrible aero design (both operationally, and long term operation/maintenance wise--such as bearings, seals, ice, moisture corroding windings and rare earth magnets, access to turbine, fatigue, etc.). Let alone site issues (wind, turbulence, nearby obstacles).

Take care,
    -Bill
    Thanks Bill, the set up will be like a typical wind turbine: Turbine -> Charge Controller/rectifier -> Battery -> Inverter Load. I had mo problem is sourcing a meter at the battery level and inverter level. I just want to measure it at the generator level to my own testing purposes. As it is a non- sinusoidal output there is off the shelf meters.

I found True RMS meters, but that also measures only at one phase at a time like this one: https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Multimeter-Resistance-Continuity-Temperature/dp/B0746HHRQF