Is Generac Power Wall a good solution?

solar_dave
solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
If you have existing solar and over 10 years on your existing inverters would this be a sensible solution at the point of failure on the inverters.  

Personally the only driving factor for me would be to level out the real peaks in usage as I already have a pretty good grid tie plan and so far the PVP5200s keep ticking along.  Replacements are right at the $3K each.  Pricing information for the Generac seems a bit thin.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Dave,

Do you have a link to the product? I am a bit confused... Tesla's brand for solar backup power is "Power Wall"... I could not find anything about Generac Power Wall...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My buds who install both tesla and generac "walls" say Tesla. Generac had horrible support and it is too new.

I helped a guy convert a model 2 to offgrid. It was not very hard but no warranty and no app that is pretty nice with Tesla.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020 #4
    BB. said:
    Dave,

Do you have a link to the product? I am a bit confused... Tesla's brand for solar backup power is "Power Wall"... I could not find anything about Generac Power Wall...

-Bill
     sorry for the confusion it is called the Generac Power Cell. Here is a "third" party review:
    https://news.energysage.com/generac-pwrcell-battery-review/

here is generac site:
    https://getpwrcell.com

Looks like you can run your critical loads off grid for some period of time the largest model is 17 kWh and 2 can be strung together.

BTW 34 kWh would be a real push here to get through about a day or 2 with minimal cooling needed. But there is the emergency level of consumption to consider.  this does look like a good cost shaving for grid tie with extreme TOU rates and can be programmed as such to replace some grid power during expensive rate times.