Trace 4024 settings

ssbarbich
ssbarbich Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
I have a Trace 4024 inverter and have just hooked it up so that it will start my generator when the voltage reaches the set amount it works fine to start but is there a setting to stop it? it ran for three hours at 29.7 volts and did not go to float it stayed at bulk charge. What might I have set wrong?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Welcome to the forum Ssbarbich

I don't know about the Trace settings--But the (more or less) most efficient method is to start the genset at the crack of dawn (when needed--like 75% to 50% or lower state of charge) and run your AM loads+battery charging to ~80% state of charge, shutdown the genset and let the sun finish charging the rest of the day.

Monitoring your charging current at 29.x volts--When you start to see the current fall (from "full" charging current from the genset), is usually about the time to shutdown genset (on a clear sunny day). Typically, 2 hours of "absorb" (relatively light discharge cycle) to 6+ hours for deeply cycled battery bank (50% or deeper cycling).

So, what parameters can you adjust for your Generator Auto-Start control?

Does your system of Solar, or are you only using Genset for charging... For the most part, as generators become unloaded (especially for gasoline and propane type), they become less efficient. More or less, your fuel flow at 100% loading is 100% of rated flow (gallons per hour etc.). At 50% or less electrical loading on the genset, the fuel flow tends to drop to 50% and not much lower. And shutting down at lower electrical loading on your genset and letting the solar finish charging will should save you fuel costs.

You want to end your genset charging by 80-90% -- When the battery is not drawing much charging current. Using the genset to get to >90% state of charge every charging cycle "can waste" fuel.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ssbarbich
    Thank You Bill. I do have a Solar array also. That is why I would like it to shut down so I can let the Sun take over. I don't know why it does not go to float and shut down when it is at 29.7 volts. I can shut it down manually which I do but if I was away from home I could not do that. Before I hooked up the auto start for the generator it used to go to float all the time if I let the generator run to long. Now it gets to 29.7 and stays there. 
  • ssbarbich
    The 29.7 I am talking about is what the inverter says the Battery actual voltage is. Of course after I shut off the Gen. it drops to about 26.x 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Things get even more confusing... What is your battery type (flooded cell, AGM/sealed lead acid), do you have a voltmeter to measure battery voltage (as always, check battery connections are clean and tight). Batteries staying relatively cool, not using too much water (if flooded cell).

Some systems will give you a temperature corrected voltage reading instead of actual charging voltage (i.e., will read 14.4 volts charging, but with 32F battery bank, the charge controller can correct and hold 15.15 volts at the battery bank).

Do you have a hydrometer (rinse with distilled water before putting away). The best way to figure out how your FLA batteries are being charged:
    https://www.solar-electric.com/search/?q=hydrometer

Depending on how much of your own maintenance you do--Having a DC Current Clamp DMM is really nice. Good for better understanding your system and debugging:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019CY4FB4 (mid-cost)
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=UNI-T+UT210E+True+RMS+AC%2FDC+Current%2FVoltage+Mini+Clamp+Meters&ref=nb_sb_noss (low cost)

Note there are both AC+DC current clamp DMMs (ditital multimeter) and AC only current clamp meters... DC+AC versions are very nice for off grid power systems (both battery wiring and AC power wiring). AC only will not measure DC battery current.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ssbarbich
    I have 12 Lead Acid L16 batteries. Before I set it up to start on its own it used to go to float in 2 or 3 hours of the Gen. running now it sits at 29.7 and the Gen. does not stop and the inverter says it is still Bulk Charging. Seems like a waste of fuel especially when the sun comes out and I have 14 200 watt solar pannels. Yes I have a volt meter and a hydrometer.  
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Used to work?  You might have a battery problem...reduced capacity, harder to charge.  
  • RickR
    RickR Registered Users Posts: 2
    Hi ssbarbich, not sure if you have a user manual, if not PM me and I will send you a copy