Help Setting Charging Amperage on Trace 4024 inverter

Options
uncledoug
uncledoug Registered Users Posts: 1
I have a xantrax TRACE 4024 inverter 4000 watts.   it is constantly going off and on in the charging cycle and an electrical engineer looked at the situation and informed me i had to SET THE CHARGING AMPERAGE TO 75 amps. 
For the life of me i cannot find where in the manual it shows how to do that.   any help on resetting the charging amperage would be greatly appreciated.   thank you  Doug 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    I don't know the equipment... But frequently the charging current is defined as Amps of AC current limit...

Say you want a maximum of 75 Amps of 24 VDC current... That would be roughly (assuming 120 VAC unit):
    • 75 Amps * 29.0 volts charging * 1/0.85 AC charger efficiency * 1/120 VAC nominal = 21.3 Amps @ 120 VAC max input charging current draw
    So, you set the Max AC input or Max AC charging current to ~20 Amps maximum--The screens sometimes are not very clear on what some of the settings acutally are (XX Amp limit at 120 VAC max input or 24 VDC to battery, etc.).

If you do not have one, I highly suggest you get an AC/DC Current Clamp DMM. You can measure the battery voltage and battery charging current and see what the heck is happening. Is the unit falting on excessive charging current, is the battery bus voltage too high (over ~29.0 volts for normal absorb charging Flooded cell lead acid battery bank), or even too low. What is the charging current when it faults? etc..

A couple of links to look at:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019CY4FB4/ (mid priced meter)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0772FYF5M (lower cost meter)

Note, there are AC only Current Clamp DMMs too (that also measure DC voltage, but cannot measure DC current). You have to read the details about the meter to makes sure it is an AC+DC current clamp meter, and not an AC only current clamp meter. Either type of meters are very good to have... But for our DC battery bus/solar power/etc..., having a DC capably clamp meter is very nice to have, and very safe to use (just clamp on one wire to measure current--No cutting wires and putting in a current shunt to measure current for testing/understanding your system).

The fact that your system is not charging stability seems to be a functional problem, and possibly not just a charging current limit setting. Doing a bit of diagnostics and seeing what the DC bus voltage and current is when it is charging and faulting.

Do you know "the batteries are good"? For older battery banks, they do eventually sulfate and lose capacity... A sulfated battery may seem to charge very rapidly, drop into float, then fall back to a lower voltage (or if there are some DC loads cycling) that knocks the charger back into bulk/absorb.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020 #3
    Options
    uncledoug,  If your inverter is a Trace SW 4024:

The Charger menu is Menu 10.   This setting is in AC Amps,  as BB Bill noted. (at least on the Xantrex/Trace eq that we have dealt with.

From the Manual,   look at menu 10.

Here is a Link to the SW Manual:
    http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Discontinued-Products/SW2512MC-SW4024MC2UserGuide.pdf

On the other hand,   is your Trace/Xantrex inverter is an SWplus model,  Look in Menu 12 for Battery Charging,   it,  too uses AC amps as the battery charging current setting.  Can probably find a Manual for these  Inverters.

To get to the Advanced menu,   where menu 12 is located,  you need to scroll down through all of the Basic menus.

Good luck,  and please let us know how you are doing.   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.