DC optimizer for Solar Panels

freddieoliveras
freddieoliveras Registered Users Posts: 33 ✭✭
hi, is there any good DC to DC optimizer that can be monitored locally not like in the cloud (internet) for an offgrid system?

Comments

• QHIINC
    QHIINC Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Depends on your inverter, most inverters that are on-grid have an optimizer, as for off-grid, I don't believe their is one for any inverter.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    From what little I understand about Optimizers, they need to communicate to the DC load... Typically the Grid Tied inverter.

If you were doing this off grid--You could do it still with GT inverters "back feeding" a compatible AC to DC inverter (driving energy from teh GT inverter "backwards" through the off grid inverter to recharge the battery bank). While this can be done, I would suggest looking long and hard at the system needed to do this... Larger "micro grid" systems have done the GT to OG inverter solution.

Otherwise, you would need an MPPT solar charge controller (to charge the battery bank)--And I have not heard of any MPPT solar charge controllers that can communicate with any Optimizers... I am not in the industry, so it is possible that one or more other companies do this (never say never). If you have a "favorite" Optimizer brand or two, you can contact them and see if they have or are working with any Solar Charge Controller companies. There are a lot of MPPT solar charge controller mfg's out there these days.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there is one then it will likely be made by Tigo.
    Here's their site with a lot of info. https://www.tigoenergy.com/products/

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.