Gateway firmware update, WiFi station mode, modbus and seasons greetings from Schneider Solar

Dave Angelini
Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
   htps://offgridsolar1.com/
E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    No issues so far except I wish the sun would come out of the clouds....

• Dave Angelini
    The Mobile app is out and runs fine here on my droid. The nice thing about this app compared to the combox tablet app is it will run and look good on any size mobile phone. The combox version had to be 7 inches or larger.

https://solar.schneider-electric.com/conext-solar-mobile-app-now-available/

• Dave Angelini
    To use the mobile app one needs to set-up a gateway "user" password for the app to work. It has been asking for credentials every 3 days for me. Nice to have it working off my wifi here. I took it up to the ski area in Yosemite yesterday adn it worked great on my cell mobile network. :)

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feedback.

The app relogin is something we will fix in the next release.

The gateway password, has a little icon of an 'eye' beside it. when you click on it you will  see what you are typing.

However, the main password (CI2 password) does not have this option, as it is against Schneider cyber security rules.

• shawnj72
    shawnj72 Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭
    Hey That's Great. I look forward to getting the PLC on the same page as the Gateway. I assume I can do this two ways. A Modbus RTU into a Schneider TSXETG100  Using the Pins 16,18,20 or Direct TCP Bypassing the Modbus RTU TSXETG100 Gateway. And thus  Going from the PLC right to the Gateway with Modbus TCP. I would imagine it wont know what device it is connect to like it would the panel meter in the documentation. Or maybe it will be just able to do modbus TCP with only known Schneider devices? I guess we will see since there isnt no real settings per the documentation for modbus TCP just the RTU Serial side.. Either way I'm sure i can get it to work since i do have the TSXETG100.
  • Dave Angelini
    I will ask but the lights are on and not many home until mid January up in Burnaby. The guy I hire for PLC type/modbus stuff says he can do anything he wants ;)

• shawnj72
    I spent a couple Days with no Success. I tried the Modbus TCP Direct from my controller. I can connect but it drops the connection within 10-15-seconds with no error code. The device never registers in the gateway devices.  I can do that all day. I took a Schneider TSXETG100 And Hooked it to the Serial Jack.. No Reading device ID or Holding Registers whatsoever..  In the Gateway Config it has serial a and Serial B. On the gateway it has Serial 1A 2A GND then 1B 2B. I tried all configs I assume the 1a 2a is serial A and 1B 2B as serial B. I cannot set the stop bits in the TSXETG100. Also The XW6848 says it has an address of 10 port 502 Tried reading device id 10 holding registers and device id no connection.. Back to the Modbus TCP I wish there was a way to monitor the connection at the gateway possibly see why it drops the connection..
  • Dave Angelini

• shawnj72
    edited January 2020 #9
    Thanks Dave.... I may be getting a bit ahead of myself. since the parameters in the GateWay are virtually NULL it may be a few firmwares before it is fully functional since even in the Manual there is less than vague data in the modbus sections. Looking at the combox Manual there is a Plethora of information there and i guess i should of got that instead but hey I got to have the Latest and Greatest.. I will be giving the Modbus RTU (Serial) another shot this weekend as I don't give up so easily..Bringing Modbus into a GE PLC is not for the faint of heart. There is complex instructions  you must program just to establish communications before even trying to read and write. I would assume the Modbus TCP is reared to Just Schneider devices since there is no parameters one can change so i assume it wants to be a Master and being it can detect Schneider devices and read from them and add it to the Gateway Device List leads me to believe so. So I will focus more on the RTU or serial side of things with the TSXETG100 as the bridge till they get a few more firmwares in and more documentation done up.Kind of expensive way of doing it but it is discontinued unit .I believe looking at the combox manual  this is just the beginning for the gateway..   
  • Dave Angelini
    I think it is the beginning and was told in an XMAS card that great things are expected in 2020.

Like I said before, I have guy who does this for me and right now I am going outside to get next years firewood ready. That is my mindset and what I like to do. As an engineer my background is DC to daylight and avoiding the danger of being around IT folks ;)

• shawnj72
    I Heat with wood and used to love doing it. But my health been deteriorating so it isn't any fun but rather a struggle..If I had a skidder and a Processor like one on a skidder it could be fun again im sure. But Man handling trees and limbs with TWO Huskys 266XP Truck and splitter it's obvious why im getting the age where i cant do it.. I cant even start till the snow melts as we usually get a 48" base . Snowshoe in cut them down and watch them disappear in the puff of powder and go back and find them in the spring.. Yeah fun Stuff. anyway.. see what progress I can make I just may obtain a combox just to get my small project finished. As our seasons are short here after the snow melts.   
  • shawnj72
    I believe I'm doing it wrong.I believed I could hook the Gateway up to the PLC and read the registers from the Gateway of like the XW6848 , Bat Monitor and read and write from THE PLC through the gateway.. Reading the Manual it has Modbus TCP  which the Gateway is the Master and reads writes the device from there. And the serial also The Gateway being the Master and connecting to like a 4024 or another device. So this is why i'm have such issues.. The manual in its wording kind of points that way.. the combox rears the other way having the plc read and write to the devices..Im trying to connect my Gateway to another Gateway Master.  So it looks like I'm way ahead.. I am Unhappy to Report.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been following this but not knowing anything about the gear have nothing to contribute.  I'm curious though.  Does the gateway do serial (or tcp) modbus to devices, and present an api to clients?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • shawnj72
    It does Both.. by the Manual it is a Gateway Master to slave Devices both Modbus TCP and Modbus RTU Serial RS485. I thought it was more like the combox as i can monitor and Write to the XW Or Bat Mon ect . But it is more of the line bringing external devices into the Gateway for monitor and control. I will write to Schneider and see if this ins correct but looking at the wording and manual I believe this to be the case.. The combox states Monitor and control From PLC and devices and has a lot more In the manual along these lines..Maybe in future firmware things will open up in the gateway. My plan is I have an HMI application to control a bit more of the system Generator ect and have a remote HMI with key Features Up Stairs and out in the garage. I already have my boiler tied in and water system so i was just going to expand with the solar also.. Ill probably go ahead and get the combox so i can move fwd here in these winter months..
  • ELYNN4
    ELYNN4 Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭
    I just installed the Gateway on my system, but I have a few questions/issues.  When my generator is charging the batteries and I log in to the Conext Insight2 website the main page shows that the generator is not running yet the other views show that it is running and charging the batteries.

I have my absorb time set for 300 minutes, when I look at the absorb time configuration on the Conext Insight2 web site it states that the maximum absorb time allowed is 288 minutes.

I would like to follow my AmpHours used as tracked by the Battery Monitor on the Conext Insight2 web site.  I have not been able to find this information on the site.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Elwood
    Off Grid, 4.5KW array, 9&6KW Gens, 6848XW inverter, Midnite Classic 150, 2 strings - 48V - Trojan FLA L16 2V, located in Talkeetna, Alaska
  • Dave Angelini
    You should tell Schneider. I am not seeing these problems with my clients and my system here at home, but different systems may have issues.

https://solar.schneider-electric.com/conext-gateway-conext-insight-2-product-feedback/

https://solar.schneider-electric.com/product/conext-insight-2/

• ELYNN4
    Thanks Dave, I have sent in several requests/feedback over the past month to Schneider - no response.  I’ve been working with Schneider since August on my ComBox issues - no fixes to date.  I purchased the Gateway hoping that with it being a new product they would be more invested in it - faulty logic on my part so far.

Elwood
    Off Grid, 4.5KW array, 9&6KW Gens, 6848XW inverter, Midnite Classic 150, 2 strings - 48V - Trojan FLA L16 2V, located in Talkeetna, Alaska
  • Dave Angelini
    So you do not have a case number? I can't help without that. You should get an automated response with a case number.
     so are you filling the form out correctly?   

It sounds like your gateway is fine but the cloud, insight 2 is an issue?
    There can be a 10 minute dead space from a change in the gateway getting out to insight2 right? 

• ELYNN4
    Thanks Dave, I have not gotten a case number for the Gateway issue - I’ll try submitting this again, must be doing something wrong.  Yes, it looks like the data is updated in 10 minute intervals - I’ve looked for a way to push data to the cloud rather than wait the 10 minutes, but have not found a way to do it.

Elwood 
  • ELYNN4
    Here are the ongoing case numbers:

Case #16735 - this involves the ongoing problems that I’ve had with the ComBox.  

Case #19697 - this involves the issues with the Gateway.

I noticed that the Gateway literature does not show that it supports the ComBox.  Does this mean that I need to pull the ComBox out of my system?  I kind of hate to do that because the ComBox provides information that I cant find on the Gateway.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

elwood
  • ELYNN4
    Here are a couple of screen shots - the first screen shot shows that the generator is running.  The second screen shot shows that the generator is “not running”.  Both shots were taken within a minute of each other.

Elwood

• Dave Angelini
    edited January 2020 #22
    ELYNN4 said:
    Thanks Dave, I have not gotten a case number for the Gateway issue - I’ll try submitting this again, must be doing something wrong.  Yes, it looks like the data is updated in 10 minute intervals - I’ve looked for a way to push data to the cloud rather than wait the 10 minutes, but have not found a way to do it.

Elwood 
    On mine, if I change or refresh the page on CI2, It usually forces an update rather than wait the 10 minutes. However,
    there are so many nice things about the Insight2 system, it is not a big deal to me. I have seen it make steady progress since we started the field circuit validation in 10-18 and can't really say much other than it orks great compared to combox.

Yes on removing combox! That is not supported and even though some of it will work together, other parts are clearly wrong to do this. I have seen the errors. We tested with an A or B switch and I still do this with the 2 solar power systems here at the house. They are completely independent and if I am gone, my wife can easily switch to the other if we get thunderstruck  :':smile:

Where are you?  The mobile AP is really nice and also progressing.

Also cases that are not responded to, by you, will generate an email that the case has been closed. Just saying you should have seen something. Also, Alot of Schneider is just getting back from the long winter holidays.

I was down in the central valley at a doctors office and I was able to monitor my system, turn on the heat pump when the batteries filled and watch my garage with a movable camera. I could see that my water heater as not leaking, my pump was not running, and my cats were asleep. This as on a day when it as suppose to snow here in Mariposa. Pretty damn cool I think! All of the port forwarding issues with combox are gone.

I can't help with the gen as I do not use one here. Some of my clients do and I have not heard anything. I also tell them to avoid running gensets unattended.

• ELYNN4
    Thanks Dave - I am off the grid in Talkeetna, Alaska.  I have not been able to get the mobile app to work.  I can log on to the app and click on my gateway, it asks me to log on to the gateway, but then says my password is incorrect.  I’m not sure which password it’s looking for, I’ve tried the factory set password and the one that I switched to when I set up the gateway.  Thoughts?

My generator runs every third day for 10 hours this time of year.  I like to be here when it’s running.  My hope with the gateway is that I can monitor the system remotely and if needed start the generator remotely as well.

My gateway does not update the data when I refresh a page or move to a different page.  You referred to Cl2 to refresh the data - what is Cl2?

Have you found a way to see how many amp hours have been removed from the batteries?  I can see this information on the local gateway screen, but not on the Insight2 screen.

Thanks,

Elwood

I have responded to every email that Schneider has sent to me.  I followed up with emails when I didn’t hear from them and they told me not to do that as it pushed my case back to the bottom of the pile.
  • ELYNN4
    Sure would be nice if this screen was available on the Insight2 website.  I like to manage my site by the number of amp hours removed from the battery bank, along with the battery bank voltage.  I can’t find the amp hours removed data on the Insight2 web site.

The other data that would be very valuable is the “absorption time”.  I have my absorption time programmed for 300 minutes.  I can see whether the system is in the absorption phase, but nowhere can I see for how long it’s been in the absorption phase.

Elwood

• shawnj72
    I don't use the Insight but I do have a VPN Enabled Router. ASUS I just VPN In from anywhere I have a Connection and Access the Gateway as I would from My Location. Everything is accessible. I haven't tried the App Yet either but this is just another alternative that works well.  
  • ELYNN4
    Thanks - one of the challenges I have is all communication with my site goes thru cell towers, which makes VPN access more challenging from my understanding.
  • Dave Angelini
    So have you communicated your needs to Schneider?

• ELYNN4
    Not sure how to go about doing that.  Should I start a new case number?
  • ELYNN4
    Found your link above and have submitted a form - thanks for the suggestion 
  • Halfcrazy1234
    Halfcrazy1234 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Oddly enough I can not get the cell app to work, it wants a user password not an admin password and neither Eric or I have been able to make it work. Hoping Schneider can get this resolved soon
  • Dave Angelini
    edited January 2020 #31
    The app instructions must be followed. Like anything with computers and IT, not any room for creativity.  ;)
     Create a user password for each gateway. I have 5 I am monitoring. Each client has to create a user password for me or for them to use the mobile app on their gateway.

The problem is easy to blame on Schneider but I gotta tell ya, it works! I will check it right now. waiting for google droid to boot,
    One minute later I see the solar coming in at 2kw. Happy about that.  Who is Eric or is that an inside joke?

I know Schneider is using Iphones. The mobile app will have many changes soon and is pretty basic now BTW. Good Luck

Adding on, You do have to have the CI2 cloud app working before the mobile app, Right! Conext Insight 2 is CI2 BTW/

Many of my clients can't stand this stuff! I get it as I would much rather be outside in this beautiful January weather. For those folks an SCP is all they want or need.