Changing from series to parallel

Options
micahmicahok
micahmicahok Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
I know you shouldn’t be connecting the panels into the charge controller with any sunlight on them. If they’re already connected in series and I want to change my setup to parallel should I do anything specific to make sure I don’t damage anything?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Throwing a tarp/blanket over the panels (or working early morning/late evening) will reduce the current flow and voltage.

The MC4 connectors should not be connected/disconnected under load (any arc can damage the connector pins and sockets).

If you feel up to it, you can disconnect cable connections (screw/bolted connections) while under power, but you will probably get some sparks (but little chance of damage). Note that >24 VDC from a solar array, is similar to the voltages used for Arc Welding (at typically lower current levels). If you see an arc, just pull the wire/cable away quickly so as to not damage or short to anything else in the area).

You should always connect the charge controller to the battery bank first, and disconnect the controller last (i.e., connect panels after controller has connected to battery bank, and disconnect panels before disconnecting battery bank).

The charge controllers generally pull their "stable" votlage/energy from the battery bank. If you connect panels to a controller first (or without a battery bank connected), it can "confuse the controller" and possibly damage it.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset