L16 AGM 400AH replacement options

stmar
stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
4 Lifeline L16 AGM 6 volt 400ah battery bank went ca-put so now I will be making a decision on what to replace them with. I have had Lifeline for the past 15 years and they seem like good batteries, got more longevity from 12 volt units before these 6 volt. 5-1/2 years out of the current bank and almost 10 from the one before.
Would like some suggestions on what to replace my 400 amp hour bank with. Want to stay with AGM. I suspect there are other manufacturers out there that I am not familiar with. US Battery looks interesting, actually more expensive than Lifeline. Would like to stay with American Made if possible. Any input would be appreciated.
System: Schneider Conext SW4024 with SCP and Combox, solar array, Morningstar PS-30 controller.

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AFAIK, 5 1/2 years isn't terrible for AGMS, and close to 10 is darned good.

Just my opinion, but I think having more cells as you likely would using 12v instead of 6v makes the odds of a failure higher rather than lower.  Odds are just that though, and your experience may be an outlier.

Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • stmar
    Fewer cells and robust construction is why I went to the L16's last time. All mechanical components fail at some point so my experience is just a normal life occurrence. Leaning toward the Lifeline L16's unless I discover something better.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fullriver makes great AGM Deep Cycle batteries.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019 #5
    In my experience, Concorde Lifeline/Sun Xtender and Fullriver are easily the best true deep cycle AGM's on the market. (Fullriver is Chinese)
    Concorde's batteries should generally go out well beyond 5.5 years, depending of course on temperature, cycle depth and charging parameters. I have many projects that are 8-10 years old. I am of the opinion that all AGM's - L16's in particular, need adequate Absorb time and a healthy amount of time in Float. Keep in mind that Concorde's L16 frame size has a higher cost per kwh of storage, than the 4D and 8D sizes.
    Was your previous battery bank around 400ah also?
    Marc

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • stmar
    Yes, 4 X 400ah Lifeline GPL-L16's. My first Lifeline 12 volt batteries lasted over 10 years. The 6 volt batteries did go through some different events that may have shortened their lives. I had a couple of inverter issues that may have contributed. This bank went bad all at once so I agree with Estragon that it must be an open cell. What is the difference between Lifeline and Sun Xtender, both are made by Concorde?
  • Marc Kurth
    edited December 2019 #7
    Yes, they are. They are chemically the same, but the Lifeline's are slightly more ruggedized (The internal bus bar design) for mobile usage. For a stationary application, they are interchangeable.
    What were your 12v batteries?
  • stmar
    They were Lifeline GPL 8's. I sent you a PM.
  • Marc Kurth
    So with 2 strings of 2, in parallel, you had around 500 ah that lasted close to 10 years. Aside from the inverter problems that you mentioned, you also had about 25% more battery bank storage.
    Most of the larger motor coaches that we see are 24v systems with 3-4 strings of the GPL-8DL and they get 6-8 years because heat kills.
    Marc
  • stmar
    I had been thinking of going back to the 12 volt batteries, like you say more amp hours and not that much more cost.