makeskyblue vs. Renogy rover app experiences?

Options
garynappi
garynappi Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭
Somethings about "apps" that bother me are invasive "requirements" (location, phone calls for example) to make the app functional that have no bearing on the working functionality of the device. I get that it needs access to read / write data and images to the android device but location and phone calls?  To a static non movable device thats position is not tracking the sun?

In particular the makeskyblue app I downloaded as far as I can tell will not function without almost complete access to my phone, while the renogy app seems to work without enabling the more privacy related requirements.

So are there any here with experience with either or both of these controllers? Does anyone else have objection to unrelated requirements of apps or do you just not care?

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did you pay extra to get the app?  Will you pay for updating as security issues arise?  If you aren't paying for the product, you likely are the product. 

Do the app TOS allow sharing the info with "trusted partners"?  The trusted partners likely have lots of uses for your location, phone calls, etc.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • garynappi
    Options
    No you don't pay for the app,.. you can't use the product without their free app, So, if you're saying that you give up rights to privacy due to the app being free that's not reasonable or a cause to give away your right to privacy to use their product. 

Also since the "app" does NOT need or require Internet connectivity, just bluetooth to connect to your mobile device I suspect that security updates are not needed. Now of course once you give away your rights and give full access to your phone or tablet, security would become an issue. Kinda a catch 22? :-)

Simple... no sale. 

• Estragon
    Options
    My S.O. was given a "smart" watch with health monitoring (heart rate, etc) by a friend  recently.  The thing apparently needs an app just to set the time.  I refused to put the app on my phone, and instead rebooted the watch at midnight to set the time.

Maybe I'm just old, but it seems to me a lot of people are willing to trade some pretty intimate details in return for not very much.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • garynappi
    Options
    Estragon said:
    My S.O. was given a "smart" watch with health monitoring (heart rate, etc) by a friend  recently.  The thing apparently needs an app just to set the time.  I refused to put the app on my phone, and instead rebooted the watch at midnight to set the time.

Maybe I'm just old, but it seems to me a lot of people are willing to trade some pretty intimate details in return for not very much.
    Agreed, not me.

I bought one too, and the usage rights they demanded were the most intrusive I've ever seen, I sent it back with a note in it why.

If enough people do that maybe it will change, till then even though I really dislike government intervention this is one I think needs addressing. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    A couple years ago, a Fitbit watch recorded the "apparent" time of death for a murder victim and tripped up the suspect's alibi. However, the suspect died awaiting trial:

https://scallywagandvagabond.com/2019/09/anthony-vincent-aiello-san-jose-linked-stepdaughters-death-fitbit-device-dies-awaiting-murder-trial/

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Estragon
    Options
    Note to self:  If offing the SO, reboot the watch :smile:
    Off-grid.