Conext SW4024

Ravemind
Ravemind Registered Users Posts: 12 ✭✭
My trusty CSW4024 has started getting very finicky when it's being powered by the generator. Starting yesterday, if my loads are above 900 Watts, it disconnects from the AC-in and switches back to battery for about a minute, then checks the AC-in again, if it's above 900 watts disconnect so on and so forth. If I keep the load below 900 watts, it will allow the generator to power my system.
Anyone have any idea what could cause this? The inverter is about 5 years old and has been used heavily. Are there components in there that can wear out and cause something like this?

I've tried a different generator.
I swapped out the cabling connecting the two. 
A few days ago it would let me use the generator as long as the load is below 1500 watts. I thought that was strange, but I could live with it. 900 watts is to low.
I'm trying to think of what other information could be useful in this situation. 
I'm connected to AC1-in. I thought when it was originally set up AC1 was the preferred for a 110v generator. I'm wondering if I should try AC2-in to see if the components in AC1 are wearing out. 
I don't have grid power to test the inputs to see if the behavior is the same.

I've fired off a support email request to Schneider, but they say 1 or 2 days response time and I don't see a number to call directly.
Thanks
Main property - 4.5 kW panels into 2 x Schneider MPPT60 150v charge controllers | Schneider Conext SW4024 Hybrid inverter | 30 kWh of Lithium Batteries 24V - Water pumping - Grundfos SQflex | 1000w solar panels | Midnite Solar theKid | 48v Lithium battery |

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is wear/arc damaged contacts in the transfer switch.  Might be worth checking voltage on the load side of the inverter.

I don't know, but also guessing the AC2 input may have a tighter default range for qualifying ACin.  Still, it might be worth a try switching the genny to the other input.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    AC-1 is typically used for Grid Connections (something like 60 +/- 1 Hz or better. The AC-2 is typically the one were you can go +/- 5-10% frequency acceptance range.

There may also be a setting for the main AC breaker/branch circuit rating... I.e., if you set 15 amps, the inverter-charger will generally draw up to 80% of 15 amps (15*0.80=) or 12 amps... If you have generator support enabled, it should cut down on the charging current, or if >xx Amps of load, the inverter will draw from both AC in and Battery Bus to supply the load...

Anyway, that is how I understand. If configured correctly, the SW should not drop the AC input loading unless the Current, Voltage, or Hz is out of range.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no AC2 on CSW.

Short of that CSW is a PITA compared with XW which really was designed from the start for Offgrid.
    You saved alot of money on the CSW, you probably have used it up. Buy a spare or do it right and buy the best.
    Your warranty was up 3 years ago on a 5 year old CSW.  Sorry to be frank.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Ravemind
    Ravemind Registered Users Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Yes, I realize my terminology was inaccurate. I meant AC1 LN2. I should have checked on that before I posted. Can I connect to LN1 and LN2 interchangeably?

I've definitely gotten my money out of it. I may purchase another this weekend since they are 10% off from our hosts. Moving to an XW wouldn't be practical a this point because of the battery voltage.
    Main property - 4.5 kW panels into 2 x Schneider MPPT60 150v charge controllers | Schneider Conext SW4024 Hybrid inverter | 30 kWh of Lithium Batteries 24V - Water pumping - Grundfos SQflex | 1000w solar panels | Midnite Solar theKid | 48v Lithium battery |
  • Dave Angelini
    I do not think you can, but I tell folks "when in doubt read the manual". Try it as it will not hurt anything! 

The CSW was designed for a price and they cut corners to meet the price.

30A input switching instead of the standard 60A that XW and xantrex/trace used for SW.
     XW also has 2 inputs so you can fry one with a genset and have spare. ;)

I have seen some instances where the genset settings were causing the input to disconnect under full load over 30 times and hour >:)

Plenty of other components and features on XW were neutered to meet price for CSW.

If you continue with CSW, you should be alot more conservative with gen settings. You might try and buy the solenoid/relay and learn to solder. The parts are not available thru Schneider BTW. They only are for warranty at a dealer.

Buy an external charger or 3 ;)  This always happens in winter so plan for it if you are offgrid.

It can be designed not to happen also. :)
    Good Luck

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming that's the other leg of a 120/240v split phase input, and further assuming the problem could be burnt/worn transfer switch contact(s), it might be worth a try. 

That said, I don't know why there would be a preference for one leg over the other.  Maybe control (eg qualifying frequency) is based on L1?

Even if it works, the idea of making it a backup to a new inverter seems pretty compelling.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dave Angelini
    Yep L1 for sync.