Hey, Dave! Not about weeds

Marc Kurth
Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
Some snapshots that I took, of USCG 47' Motor Life Boats

And some more here:

Marc
I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.

Comments

• aksala
    aksala Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭
    Nice shots. Semper Paratus.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Marc!  FRIDAY !
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Dave Angelini
    I always liked this one below because it reminded me of being trapped in an anchorage on Astraea for 3 weeks. The yellow circle would be where we would take the dinghy to look out into the ocean and see if it were clear. One day there were 2 boats heading in and we had to get the heck out of their way as they were at full throttle trying to get out of that "stuff". Heading right at the dinghy :#

• Marc Kurth
    There were days where we would see 25' breaking across the entire harbor entrance. Couldn't do much but watch in awe. I'm betting that you have seen worse!
    Marc
  • Dave Angelini
    edited November 2019 #6
    A few times but the real danger is always near the coastline. Head for open ocean as long as the crew and boat are up to it. Much safer!

One of the guy's on "Red Eye Radio" Eric was talking about the prescribed burns that Texas does during the summer at his lake. What is it with Texas, you guys all have lakes there?  :)

• Marc Kurth
    Dave, when I lived in CA I thought of Texas as the dry desert area around El Paso. I was truly shocked at the number and variety of lakes, rivers and the dense forests here. (Nor did I realize that we have an 8,700' mountain, and beautiful sandy beaches that I can drive on for miles)
    Another cold front blew through, resulting in 29F at daybreak yesterday. See the frost on our dock and steam rising from the very flat lake. Today will be about 70F and next week will be 73F to 75F and sunny - so I can get my boating fix starting today. (It's been a week!)

This shot is across the cove from us, shows more steam rising from the warmer (72F) water. Same shoreline seen on the left side in the first picture - taken my house in the cheap seats!

The bridge in the background of the first picture is Hwy 198, Southwest of our place. It's 2.1 miles, then another 2+ miles out to the main lake. We boat up to Gun Barrel City, but stop in at the Tiki Bar in Tool (12 miles) on the way up. The little 115HP 4 stroke outboard pushes the 25' boat along at an efficient 20MPH (A whopping 27 at red line LOL)  It is not uncommon to pull the kids/grankids on the three person "tube" for 10-15 miles at a time, touring the lake. 

Marc

• Dave Angelini
    You are talking me into it. When the craziness out here peaks, I will contact you offsite. I need to stop working (even at my slow rate) and there is no end in sight out here. Must have hooked up 20 gensets in October. 

Really nice shots BTW.

Just please tell me there are not jet skis with headlights yet?  Even if there are please don't tell me OK?

• Marc Kurth
    edited November 2019 #9
    Fortunately, the Jet Fleas tend to congregate in a party cove down by the dam. BUT, you touched a nerve with me on headlights! It is up to us to teach people that those are DOCKING LIGHTS and they blind everyone else when you run them underway! Most people have no idea of just how long it takes to get your night vision back. (I know you do)
    If you are thinking of running a sailboat, our lake is shallow at 60' max and the coves are of course less. We have 9' under our dock at full lake level, and the lake swings about 3'-4' with rainfall. MANY homes are 4'-5' at full level. If I had to guess, I would say that 40% of this lake would support a decent keel. There are other, deeper lakes in Texas with marinas full of good sized sail boats. As you can tell, I've become a pontoon guy and party in slow motion!
    The beauty is that depending upon budget, you can go low cost (I did) and have close neighbors, or go large and have 30 acres or 100 acres or more of pure privacy. (There is a nice 3 story 10 bedroom. 12 bathroom place for sale right now :smile:  I think that their boathouse is bigger than my home) )
    Marc

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Let’s go boating...
  • Marc Kurth
    edited November 2019 #11
    Incredibly beautiful scene, Tony!

I'm a warm weather guy - this was last night when the temperature was 74F and I was trying a new IPA.

• Dave Angelini
    edited November 2019 #12
    Definitely warm weather. We went left out the golden gate bridge, right is too cold for us.

The only sailing I do is if I am billing for it these days ;) water temp less than 50F, you gotta be kidding?

• icarus
  • Marc Kurth
    edited November 2019 #14
    Tony,
    Again the peace, solitude and beauty of your surroundings are astounding!  You are a truly rich man in the sense of having that as your chosen lifestyle.
    At this point in my life, I am chasing something different - warm water, warm air and the warmth of kids and grand kids! Also a place that supports my core values, central beliefs and life choices. I have chosen a place that works for me and I love it, but it is certainly NOT for everyone. THAT is the beauty of free countries - you get to choose where and how you live!

Hey, Dave: Epstein didn't kill himself.

Marc

• Dave Angelini
    Good!  " Wake me when the killing starts"

• Marc Kurth
    edited November 2019 #16
    Dave, Couldn't help myself - grabbed this from our kitchen just now, with my cell phone.  75F and calm today. We don't have the funds for acreage, but every day is an attitude corrector for me. But you know about attitude correction already because of where you live - but you have the space ans the view!

• Dave Angelini
    How far are you from Costco and Walmart ;)

You are right it will be hard to leave but the state may cross a line where it becomes very easy for us. I have you bookmarked in google maps as, go there next. Keep the pix coming.

• Marc Kurth
    We really are not too remote. Downtown Dallas is only 1.5 hours away, but it feels remote because we are Southest of there, which is away from the Interstate corridors. Walmart in Athens TX is 25 minutes and Walmart Gun Barrel City is about the same, but we often choose to go 40 minutes to a Texas chain store called HEB in Corsicana instead. The two closest Costco's are both a hour and twenty, so Costco runs are always a full load!
    Home/land prices are decent here, but property taxes are too high - driven by schools because that's their source of funding. It can comprise 70% of the total property tax bill. We selected our area based on the school tax rate. Fortunately, the local district encompasses some very high end lakefront areas, so the base tax rate per $$ of appraisal is low. In essence, the expensive homes support the school district nicely.
    I was working for Sun Edison earning a good paycheck when I moved to TX, so the lack of state income taxes blew away any differential in property tax. BUT, when you get older and your income may drop, that advantage may get narrow to none! Fortunately, Texas allows you to freeze the school portion of your property taxes at 65 years old.
    A BIG decision factor for me relates to being surrounded by "country folks who have your back"........and the fact that I can buy a box of .50 BMG at Walmart in Texas, but it is a felony to be in possession of one round in LA. 
    More to come!
    Marc

• Dave Angelini
    Yes bring it on! I did a virtual tour of the reservoir on google and got the captain to look :)

Yet another reason we are looking is our small rural hospital was mandated to seismic update. The hospital has a very real possibility of not being able to stay open. This would lose the helicopter in town that is medic run. Could turn into a 90 minute drive to an ICU or cardiac/stroke unit that now is 15 minutes.

• Marc Kurth
    Since you have time, I would look closely at parts of Arizona. You can pick your climate by how far north, up the "rim" that you go, I am partial to the area outside of Camp Verde - not as pretty as Prescott, but it's only at 3000' instead of over 5,000', so only a light dusting of snow now and then.
  • Dave Angelini
    Thanks Marc but I know it very well and we like it as many of our cruising friends are south of Tucson. Income tax makes it a no go, even in retirement there is RMD. Trying to reduce that now but it just is not easy. Uncle has his needs. >:)

• Marc Kurth
    edited November 2019 #22
    Saturday was 65F and today 74F and sunny, so we headed out both days. A cold front is going to roll in at around noon tomorrow, so we will be at 24F to 25F for a couple of nights - then back up into sunny 60's weather a week later. Seems weird to be 62F now at 9:15PM. but it will be 25F in 24 hours from now.

The first one was taken while we drifted all by ourselves out in the bay. Still 3 miles from the main lake, but private enough to o:)

Trees that have decided that fall has arrived.

Heading back in running wide open to keep those spark plugs clean!

Our fixer-upper in the cheap seats. As you can see, the lake is about 2' low, after spending 11 months at full. We still have 8' under the end of our dock, and my irrigation pump intake is 2' off the bottom. I am still amazed at the concept of an unlimited supply of free water. Well, not quite free: About 18 cents per hour for the 2" pump to throw 60 GPM @ 40 PSI up the hill on the other side of the house.

• icarus
    edited November 2019 #23
    Dueling pontoons.  Mine in to the left of the boathouse, about to go in for the winter.  Used as a hauling barge with a simple flat deck, tri-toon with a 135 4 stroke Honda.  Late October.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    That must be a nice protected bay Tony.  No damage to docks or boathouse from ice being blown on breakup?  A friend's cottage needs it's dock towed to a protected bay since he's on a south shore...prone to ice bulldozing.

Ralph

ps:  good to see you back.  Always welcome pictures.  I liked the "grocery run" with the dog last week.
  • Marc Kurth
    Tony, that's a real "winter wonderland" scene! Beautiful to look at.
  • icarus
    Mark...just wait...this is still early summer..as long as the boats are in the water!
  • Marc Kurth
    If the water is under 80F to 85F it isn't summer to me ;)
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard water season at my city place now (that's a river on the other side of the foreground trees).  No boating for me until ~May  :(

Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dave Angelini
    We'll raise one tonight to the brave souls who defended us, and to the ones above latitude 38  ;)

• Marc Kurth
    33F now at sunset, heading for 22F tonight. But back into the 50's tomorrow and the 70's next week! This is another cell phone picture from the windows in our kitchen area - couldn't help myself!

• Blackda3
    Blackda3 Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Hi Marc - I also wanted to say thank you for the beautiful photos.  I know the following is very much an "in the weeds" comment but I wanted to call to your attention that on 08-Apr-2024 you will be in the path of a total solar eclipse.  I hope you get a chance to enjoy it.  

1996 LX450; 2017 Aliner Explorer: 3 x 105 Ah AGMs; 2 x 140w Kyocera panels connected to a Bogart TriMetric and solar charge controller; Remote deployable system of two/three additional Kyocera panels connected to a Victron MPPT 100/50 Solar Charge Controller.