Schneider Electric XW6848+ Inverter in Grid Support Mode 100 Watt Grid draw Elimination

neutronspin
neutronspin Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭
Not sure if this has been discussed or addressed before but I would like if it is possible to eliminate the small grid consumption when sell is not used.  I believe it is to allow inverter AC synchronization if utility power is lost when switching.  Can I set Grid Sell ON and set the desired power to zero (0) to eliminate the small constant power from the grid?  If possible will it affect the ability of the inverter to switch from utility to inverter power in case of a grid failure?   Thanks.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    It depends on what inverter brand/model you are using and what mode you have enabled...

No expert, but from what I have read here, as an example Schneider's XW family when configured to not sell back to utility (where it is illegal to backfeed the grid), it will always consume upwards of 2 Amps @ 240 VAC from the grid. 240 VAC * 2 amps = 480 Watts ... Not an insignificant value:
    • 480 Watts * 24 hours per day * 30 days per month = 345,600 WH = 345.6 kWH per month
    On average, about my entire energy usage for my home.

It sounds like this is done to make sure that zero power is backfed back into the grid. It may just limits of the hardware/software to meet legal requirements.

The only way to stop this is to have a grid disconnect and run on Off Grid Solar+Battery power (at least during the day, or only enable grid when extra power is needed--Sort of like a genset support mode).

If you are talking about a "simpler" AC inverter that is used for power fail switch over... There are types that simple work in Standby (no power consumption from grid) and wait for a power failure (1/2 cycle voltage drop) to switch over and start inverting. These types give you a (typically) minor power glitch that most AC loads will ride through.

And there are types that are always synced to the grid and are always inverting and supplying power to the loads (can be low level of current support, or simply Grid => AC charger => battery bank => AC inverter => loads). These types are not configurable (generally) and you have the "waste" of extra power conversion (losses through the inverter).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset