Virtual tracking

Options
mountainman
mountainman Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭
What is the best settings to virtual track.
My main array is at 180.
What degrees should morning or afternoon panels be aimed? 
I get sun from sunrise to about 5 pm summer or winter. Latitude is 32.14 n.
2kw array 6 345 q cells  make sky blue 60 cc
 6 230ah GC @36 volts 
18 amp accusense charger. 3650 champion 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Play with a solar calculation program and see what the overall harvest is... You will lose some harvest, but the more hours of harvest is better for charging lead acid batteries.

The big problem for many folks is low sun angle in winter and possible shading (trees, structures, mountains)... So tracking may be shaded and not gain much in the way of time on charge.

Pvwatts does give you estimated harvest by day and time... If in winter afternoon sun goes away after 2pm, you can see how much harvest is lost.

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mountainman
    mountainman Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭
    Options
    On the shortest days dec pv watts at 62° at 180. 4.71 hours
    160 sse and ssw at 200° gives 4.5 hours very little lost.
    With such short days and la needing long charge times. Shouldn't it help some.
    I understand it would be more effective in summer.
    What altitude  does the sun become substantially effective 15° or so?

2kw array 6 345 q cells  make sky blue 60 cc
     6 230ah GC @36 volts 
    18 amp accusense charger. 3650 champion 
  • MichaelK
    MichaelK Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020 #4
    Options
    Instead of guessing at the best angles, azmiths, ect, just build an adjustable array and work out the numbers in the real world.  Here is the array frame I built, which is both daily and seasonally adjustable.  You can occupy your time generating all the real-world data you want about what's optimal.
    System 1) 15 Renogy 300w + 4 250W Astronergy panels,  Midnight 200 CC, 8 Trojan L16 bat., Schneider XW6848 NA inverter, AC-Delco 6000w gen.
    System 2) 8 YingLi 250W panels, Midnight 200CC, three 8V Rolls batteries, Schneider Conext 4024 inverter (workshop)