? wiring ?

Options
raindog
raindog Registered Users Posts: 32 ✭✭
I see that I have what looks like 10awg wire from the controller to the solar panels (wire is not marked). I estimate the length to be 15' or less by a foot or so. The wire from the controller to the inverter is marked 10awg.

Is this ok for the 2, 250w panels I have?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,445 admin
    Options
    What is the distance, Vmp/Imp of the panels? Are the two panels in series or parallel? What is the battery bank nominal voltage?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • raindog
    Options
    Hi Bill  :), I don't have all that information. The distance is about 12-15' I guesstimate. The panels were already here, on the roof, and are visually different with respect to the frame color. One is a Trina (if I can trust a receipt found among some papers here).  I suspect they were purchased at different times and know they were purchased from different suppliers, as another receipt just says "solar panel". Where the wires come into the house and join the wire that goes to the controller, it is black : red. Battery bank is currently 24v, 2 x 104ah, but I am replacing the batteries with 2 x 200ah).
  • BB.
    edited November 2019 #4
    Options
    Generally (but not always), These panels are around Vmp~30 volts:

http://www.princetonsolarsystems.com/solarpanels/trinasolar/tsm-250pa05-08/

For a 24 volt battery bank, two of these panels in parallel is not really high enough voltage to properly/quickly recharge a 24 volt lead acid battery bank.

Normally, that would be two of these panels in series driving an MPPT solar charge controller, and 15 feet of 10 AWG cable is fine... The calculations:

Electrical Data @ STC
    Peak Power Watts-PMAX (WP)250
    Power Output Tolerance-PMAX (%)0/+3
    Maximum Power Voltage-VMAX (V)31
    Maximum Power Current-IMPP (A)8.6
    Open Circuit Voltage-VOC (V)37.4
    Short Circuit Current-ISC (A)8.59
    Module Efficiency ηm (%)15.3

So, that would be Vmp-array~62 volts, and Imp-array~8.6 amps... Using a simple voltage drop caculator with 10 AWG and 15 feet (one way run for this calculator), we get:
    https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html?material=copper&wiresize=3.277&voltage=62&phase=dc&noofconductor=1&distance=15&distanceunit=feet&amperes=8.6&x=63&y=13

Voltage drop: 0.26
    Voltage drop percentage: 0.42%
    Voltage at the end: 61.74

Typically, we use 1% to 3% voltage drop (more than 3%, start to waste some power, less than 1%, not usually worth the cost of copper).

-Bill

PS: I need to add, when you place panels in parallel, you should match Vmp-panel within ~10% or less (i.e., 31 volts +/- 3.1 volts).

And if placing in series, the panels should match Imp-panel within 10% or less).
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • raindog
    Options
    Hi Bill, I thought I didn't explain the wires to well, so I'm sending some photos just to confirm about parallel vs. series:

Wires come separately from the panels to this point under the eves:

Then, inside the porch, looks like this (not such a good photo: actually red:black on one side, and black:black on the other):

Then, where they go into the controller, looks like this:

I know very little about wiring; I apologize and thank you very much for your help.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks to me like parallel wired.  In series, the +ive of one panel would normally be connected to the -ive of the other on the roof, and just one +/- pair brought down.  The first pic appears to be a 'Y' connector, combining + to +, and - to -.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • BB.
    Options
    Also a warning on wiring and sharp metal openings... Long term, is is very possible for the cable insulation to get cut on the unprotected entrance to your controller.

And I agree with Estragon, the present panels look to be connected in parallel. If those are Vmp~30 volt panels, that is too low of voltage to properly recharge your 24 volt battery bank.

-Bill