One issue solved..

Options
hillside
hillside Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭
which brings up another. After taking down the 4 panels, two are showing reduced voltage. One (Trina) has melted terminal ends inside the back cover and the other, a Boviet brand 255W panel, only shows 26Volts in direct sun, while my new (used) ones show 35+V.
I installed 4 slightly used 250 W panels and now show 65.7 volts, much better than the previous 52. (at the charge controller from the panels)

So, I have the option of buying one more 250Watt panel which would give me 4 extra panels (2 Hanwha 235W and 2- 250W panels).
As someone here suggested, should I put another set-up along side my existing one, which is like this?
Image result for Solar panels in series and parallelI would buy another of the same controller, a SRNE ML2440 40Amp MPPT and use the same diagram as above. The + and - would also go to the battery terminals, obviously.
This would produce enough to keep the 4 L16 batteries happy all the time, correct?
It would seem a better choice than buying a bigger Controller as I would have no use for the current SRNE 40, (still fairly new.)

If I go this route, I may have to completely rearrange panel mounting as they are not on the roof but along side the house.
And if I do, does it matter that much if the panels are mounted vertically or horizontally? In my location (central Caribbean) they are near flat with a slight angle southward. Right now the 4 panels are vertical towards the south but if I add 4 more will likely have to place them horizontally...(which would be better for late afternoon sun.)
Thank you all for the help. It is impossible to find reliable information here!

8- 235Watt panels, 2 strings in series/parallel, 4L16 Deka 6Volt, 370AH FLA. batteries, 3000W Cotek pure sine inverter, SRNE ML2440 40Amp Controller &  40 Amp Renogy controller, 24 Volt system.
5 stand alone PV arrays; 12V gate opener, 24V Dankoff rain water pumping system, 12V Shurflo rain water garden pumping, 12V bathroom LED lighting and fan.
4- 450 Watt panels with 4 L16 6 volt batts./ 2-Renogy Tracer 40 Amp controllers/ Xantrex 1800W PSW Inverter.
Honda EU3000W generator for backup.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    The general answer is to put a 5 degree tilt (minimum) on your panels so that they are self draining/cleaning. If they are flat, the water will stand on the panels and dry out--Leaving mineral deposits (and leaves/etc. if present) behind.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • hillside
    hillside Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭
    Options
    The panels do have at least a 5 degree tilt, maybe a bit more. They are at waist level so they get regular cleanings. The dust from the Sahara desert in Africa settles all over the Caribbean and even to the Amazon and leaves a dark coating on anything it touches.
    What do you think of adding the second array?

8- 235Watt panels, 2 strings in series/parallel, 4L16 Deka 6Volt, 370AH FLA. batteries, 3000W Cotek pure sine inverter, SRNE ML2440 40Amp Controller &  40 Amp Renogy controller, 24 Volt system.
    5 stand alone PV arrays; 12V gate opener, 24V Dankoff rain water pumping system, 12V Shurflo rain water garden pumping, 12V bathroom LED lighting and fan.
    4- 450 Watt panels with 4 L16 6 volt batts./ 2-Renogy Tracer 40 Amp controllers/ Xantrex 1800W PSW Inverter.
    Honda EU3000W generator for backup.