Article 100 NEC Qualified Person

In the NFPA 70 NEC 2017 Article 100 defines a Qualified electrical person as " one who has skills and knowledge to the construction and operation of electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training to recognize and avoid hazards involved ". Since Barndoor mentioned his Contractor friend I thought I'd just like to add that a contractors just contract out to other people to do a specific job. They themselves might not be Qualified to do the work. You could be a contactor and hire a Scientist to build you an Atomic Reactor. An Electrical Contractor would be person that has Qualified people working for him ( or her ), or not. Probably most people working for him are not fully trained but you are paying for a Qualified Person. The NFRA makes the NEC codes and local Governments enforces them so have a book with you or you might get a snow job.   

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    such silliness.....

I like the MD analogy. If you open up a business and you really are not an MD, it is a criminal offense.
    If you are a licensed MD in Podiatry and you decide to start doing heart bypass in the office, no problem.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    In times past (still may be true, just don't know today), our city would give a simple test and approve the homeowner to do their own contracting.

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Still funding the train to nowhere and lot's of contractors working on the Bakersfield to Merced route that will never get built. Come on down and take a look before they pull the plug. They will have to when they remember the feds are no longer funding it.

You just need to know the right state officials. Stay in your air conditioned hotel room, use the expense account and drive out to the site a few times. Sounds cynical I know. I wish I was wrong though. 

• billybob9
    billybob9 Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭
    A couple of guys came over my house today and I wanted to talk to them about Qualified persons but they were so high I just couldn't get to them. Took their picture and maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow.
  • billybob9
    Well they swung by again and brought a couple of friends.
  • Dave Angelini
    Nice to have those guys around! Where is home?

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe yours have better mufflers.  Ours scare the heck out of the cat (and me) when they take off and land near my city place.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dave Angelini
    I like that kind of scared! Two generations of US navy flyboys with my name.

• billybob9
    Home is San Diego and my cul de sac is the crossing point for most of the BA formations. So when I said "came over my house" I wasn't kidding. Ex Navy myself so the noise is not a factor. 
  • Dave Angelini
    Brother is down there. He calls it the sound of freedom. Good on you and Thanks!