Morningstar 10 amp CC

Options
Chris11
Chris11 Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭
Hello all,
We all know what happened to many of the real old western towns so I bought a fire truck to protect my replica town.

The truck has two 1200 cold cranking amp batteries.  One one year old, the other 5 years old.  There is a switch to turn on when starting the truck … I can choose #1 Bat, # 2 Bat, or Both.

I want to use a simple solar system to keep the bats topped off since I'll only be going to the town every two weeks or so, maybe even longer in between visits this winter, and probably starting the engine which starts reasonably easy. 

I have a spare 100 watt panel, 18 volts Vmp, 5.56 lmp, that I'd like to use to keep both bats topped.  

My question is....

Can I use the Morningstar 10 amp CC?  Here's the URL to look at the Specs.  https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/wind-sun/SunSaver-Gen3-Overview.pdf.  It does have all 4 charging stages.  Would this CC be OK?

Thanks, Chris

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Should be fine.

If you leave the solar panel at home (not mounted to truck body), leave the controller permanently connected to the battery (ies). Just makes/break the solar panel connections (if you make the solar first, then battery under sun, the controller can get confused or even damaged. If the battery is not concerned first, the controller can over voltage).

You know better than I, but I would consider configuring to sealed battery mode in winter/when truck not used. No reason to gas the batteries when nobody is there to check electrolyte levels....

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Chris11
    Chris11 Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Bill.