Pv combiner needed?

anthonyyates87
anthonyyates87 Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1
So I have 7 280w panels rated at 44.4 voc and 7.85 amps at max. Do I wire in parallel to a pv combiner box or just parallel to charge controller. The info is a bit contradictory.

Tagged:

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited September 2019 #2
    Welcome to the forum Anthony,

What is the Vmp/Imp (voltage and current, maximum power)?

What is the voltage/AH rating/type of battery bank you have (or are planning)?

What charge controller(s) are you using/thinking of using (MPPT or PWM, any Brand/Models)?

Roughly, were will the system be installed (hours of sun per day, temperature range, over the 4 seasons)?

And, just to put a bow on it... What are your loads (Watt*Hours per day, peak Watts, full time off grid, summer cabin, etc.)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mvas
    mvas Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019 #3
    So I have 7 280w panels rated at 44.4 voc and 7.85 amps at max. Do I wire in parallel to a pv combiner box or just parallel to charge controller. The info is a bit contradictory.

Typically, many PV Panels are not "just wired in parallel".
    The individual PV Panel wires go into the Combiner Box ...
    example:  https://www.solar-electric.com/misomnsoarco5.html
    The Combiner box contains Fuses or Circuit Breakers to protect each of the PV Panels.
    Only the output side of the Fuses or Circuit Breakers are then connected in parallel.
    Hence the name "Combiner" box - many PV Cables coming in and one fat cable going out to the charge controller ...