wind turbine tree stump installation

Fabian
Fabian Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭
I have ARI 48v 750Watt wind turbine that I am planning to mount to a tree stump in the back of my yard. I am planning to have between 
15-18Ft in tower height with between 1-2ft of pipe buried in the ground and the tower will be strap to the tree stump either by using some c clamps that nail the pipe to the stump or use some large hose clamp that goes around the tower and the  entire stump. I am also planning to use some guy wires to help with the stability of the tower.

My wind turbine  without the pipe tower weighs around 35lbs. The tree stump is almost 3 feet high and is quite large in diameter/circumference. With all this information given would it be safe to install the wind turbine to the tree stump using my method(s) or are there an alternative way(s) in which i could mount it to the tree stump which would be a more suitable installation?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    The big issue is the force of wind blowing on the turbine blades, vibration, etc... You really need the information on the tower you want to install, or have some idea of the design of a tower system from DIY parts.

The guy wires are either what really hold the tower up, or the tower itself is free standing. The guys need to be of the correct diameter/strength, however you plan on attaching the guy ends, attaching to tower and burying into ground, etc.

Using hose clamps and such... I doubt very much it would hold very well or very long.

The tree stump could be a good anchor for a tilt up tower...

Anyway, try this links and see if you can find more information:

www.otherpower.com (good forum for DIY Wind Power)
    Hugh Piggott - Scoraig Wind Electric site for tons of info (from mike90045)
    Scoraig Wind "Recipe Book" for DYI Turbines (from Chris Olson... From his 4/11/2013 post)
    www.greenpowertalk.org (added from "russ"--Like here but more wind/less solar)

Here is a 27' tilt up tower kit (I think you supply your own pipe) for a ~200-400 Watt turbine:

https://www.solar-electric.com/primus-wind-power-27-foot-air-tower-kit.html
    https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/wind-sun/Primus-27ft-tower-manual.pdf

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    Not much wind 15' off the ground. Much better results above the tree line maybe 50+ feet up.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.