Switches

Options
Plucka
Plucka Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭
edited August 2019 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
Is the inverter on/off switch 12 volt or 230volts.-I have a 1500 watt inverter [main use ] and a 3000 watt and to boil the kettle with freezer and fridge running I need to turn off the fridge which is awkward to get to the power point.I need a switch that puts 1500 on -3000 off and 3000 on 1500 off  tapped in at their on/off switches.All appliances are 230 volts. Thanks.

Comments

• bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plucka said:
    Is the inverter on/off switch 12 volt or 230volts.-I have a 1500 watt inverter [main use ] and a 3000 watt and to boil the kettle with freezer and fridge running I need to turn off the fridge which is awkward to get to the power point.I need a switch that puts 1500 on -3000 off and 3000 on 1500 off  tapped in at their on/off switches.All appliances are 230 volts. Thanks.
    A few things.

1) The switch itself is generally to the control electronics, and is thus usually low voltage.
    2) Many inverters have a remote switch option.
    3) Do NOT assume that you know where either side of the switch goes to!  It's generally not ground or some 'standard' voltage.  If you move the switch, move and maintain both wires.
    4) You generally cannot leave the outputs of the inverters connected.  You have to switch them as well.  A high power DPDT relay works for this, as does a transfer switch.