Horse trailer wiring

Options
I have bought a horse trailer that has living/changing area in it that has no lights or wiring at all. I want to purchase a power converter/charger that i can hook up to 30amp ppwer at campgrounds and hook up a battery to run 2 lights when im not hooked up to shore power, and then have 5 outlets for 7.2 cuft fridge, microwave, portable air conditioner,  and then spare outlets for phone chargers, etc. I'm new to running wiring and hooking up converter/charger. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To clarify, is it just the two lights you want to run when not hooked up to shore power, or all the other stuff?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • steven88
    steven88 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes just the lights when not hooked up to shore power. Incase we are pulled over for some reason and need something from the trailer we would have lights if need them.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In that case, I'd wire the AC loads to a 30a panel and inlet like:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Power-Receptacle-Marine-Camper-Wadoy/dp/B07DFFQ2VY?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duc12-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07DFFQ2VY&th=1

For each of the bigger AC loads (microwave, air conditioner, and fridge) I'd run separate 15a circuits via breakers in the AC panel to loads.  Some microwaves may want 12awg wire and 20a breakers though, so check.  For extra plugs, I'd run an extra breaker (or two, one for each side of the trailer) with 14awg wire and 15a breakers.

I'd run the trailer lights off a 12vdc plug to tow vehicle.  The horse trailer should have 12v brake and signal light wiring, which I'd use for lights unless the lights are meant to be used for long (which would run the tow vehicle battery down).
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • steven88
    steven88 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you.  Yes I plan to get the inlet plug. I didn't think of running the lights with the trailer wiring. I was thinking I was gonna have to install a separate marine battery for the lights. Thanks for the info!