12v Regulator from solar batteries

blueskies
blueskies Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭
Hi,
I have 12v devices I want to run off my 12v solar system.  For instance, I have a computer that uses a 12v power supply "brick".  For sensitive equipment that does run off of 12 volts but is not designed for the variation of voltages up to around 15 volts, does anyone have any experience or recommendations for a regulator or something to make sure I don't damage sensitive electronics? 
Thanks for any input!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    What you are looking for is a Buck-Boost converter (buck drops the voltage, boost raises the voltage--Both together can give you a stable output voltage with a widely swinging input voltage).

Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=buck+boost+12+volt+converter&_sacat=0

And there are a whole bunch of HAM radio supplies that take "12 volts" in and output 13.8 volts (the voltage that most 12 volt HAM radios that are rated at for transmit voltage):

https://www.amazon.com/slp/ham-radio-power-supplies/zftajbbfy8ab4zb

If you had a 24 or 48 volt system, you could use buck type down converters (i.e., the input voltage is always at least a few volts higher than the output voltage).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I will add that using a good quality AC Inverter and AC power supply for your laptop is also a viable solution--And may make more sense in the long term.

It is much easier to route 120 VAC around the place using standard 120 VAC outlets and NEC wiring codes than to route 12 volts at 10x the current (i.e., 30 amps * 12 volts = 360 Watts = 3 amps * 120 VAC).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • blueskies
    Thanks Much All !!!
  • PNW_Steve
    PNW_Steve Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭
    I use a 12v/120v power pack with my laptop.  It has both 12vdc and 120vac inputs. 

An inverter willl work as well but you will have additional losses if that makes any difference to you. 
  • blueskies
    Thanks!!!
  • stmoloud
    stmoloud Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭
    I use a DC screen (Samsung SyncMaster). Much bigger size than laptop screen. Linux comes with software that can switch off the laptop screen. The laptop without screen on is quite frugal power wise but I do get losses. It is powered by 240AC. Try to avoid raspberry pi or similar SBC for youtube or Netflix especially if you are on hotspot mobile wifi. But laptop on same setup works very well.
    760W panel array, 4 x 6v 220 ah Crown batteries, Tristar TS-45 PWM controller,  no name 600 PSW inverter.